fatsia problem

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by shwn747, May 17, 2009.

1. shwn747

shwn747 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I potted a fatsia japonica some 5 years ago and it flourished with deep olive coloured leaves up until a year and a half ago.
    Although I feed it well it has new growth but all the leaves become a sickly yellow and quickly turn black.
    Any help will be grateful.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Although you may feed it well 5 yrs in a pot is a long time, assuming its the same pot.

Fatsias are hungry plants and grow much better planted in the ground.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,665
    Hi Shwn The little I know Is that If in a pot the Compost needs to be rich and fertile and needs to be kept moist all year,mine was started off in a pot but then I transplanted It to the front Garden.:) Not much of a Photo but I,ve just taken It through the window due to the Inclement weather:)
    [​IMG]

4. happymundays

happymundays Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had Fatsia in a pot for many years , and ocasionally every couple of years I would cut right back some branches to rejuvenate , I kept mine in a shady spot and recently I took out a couple of sad looking branches and stuffed in a pot and they are very happily growing.
    Perhaps there is a pest problem for the sticky leaves.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    My Fatsia is starting to lose condition. This autumn it's getting planted out in the garden where it can really spread it's wings :)

It'll leave a gap on the patio, but I have decided to replace it with an angelica in a pot. Ideal I think - biennial and it can grow as big as it wants in a pot for a couple of years.