February 1st.....What seeds to sow now this month

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kandy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Now that we have reached the first day of February,are there any seeds,of flowers and vegetables that can be sown in the greenhouse this month or am I still being a bit too impatient.The greenhouse is heated by the way.. :D

2. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I usually plant all year Kandy a greenhouse kept at 50f keeps things ticking over that I have germinated in the propagator or grown in the lightbox,the only problem in Jan/Feb is light levels,look at the germination times on the packet anything that takes a couple of weeks will put them in better light conditions towards the end of the month,maybe just try a few seeds out of your packet see how they go on make a note and if successfull repeat next year.

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I recieved some brugmansia seeds from a generouse gc member in october.. i started 3 off and after 3 month one out of three germinated [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    so i sowed the remaining 9, and look what happened after 11 days :eek:
    [​IMG]
    How great is that [​IMG]

5. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Cattwoman,Thanks for the link I have put it into my favourites to peruse at my leisure [​IMG]

Walnut,I have already got some Chaters Double Hollyhocks sown though I know I am a bit late as they should have been done in the Autumn :rolleyes:

I am eager to get going with them but don't want to end up with a greenhouse full of stuff that are desperate to be put out but won't be able to for fear of late frosts. :eek:

One of the tomato plants that I overwintered has flowers on it and yesterday I saw a teeny tiny tomato so hopefully Mr Kandy will be picking the first fruits in a few months time.

Dee,Well done on your success with the brugmansia seeds.Hope you get some fantastic flowers on them when they are big enough,then you can post the piccy on here for everyone to see [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Kandy, A tomato plant flowering, Already, Excellent.. you clever girl [​IMG]

im really excited about the brugs, beautifull plants, i can see them in my garden, huge trumpet flowers.. magic....

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Dee,they were seedlings that wouldn't grow last year so i through them into a bucket of old compost that was supposed to be spread on the garden but never got round to it.The bucket got filled with water and the plants put out loads of roots along the stem so in the Autumn I felt sorry for them and potted them up.One has grown quiet tall but the other one is still only about a foot high.

I put up a post in the Edible Gardening section last year asking if it was possible to keep them growing from one year to the next but never got a reply so thought sod it I'll give it a go,nothing to lose.I didn't think the flowers would do any good but saw the very tiny tomato yesterday.If I remember I will take a photo tomorrow of the plant.Havn't had a chance to take a look at the fruit today. [​IMG]

I like to see the Brugs but here they would just be slug and snail fodderso I hope that you are well rewarded with beautiful flowersjust take care of the seedlings and mollycoddle them :cool:

8. Mr Unwin

Mr Unwin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. Ethansmum

Ethansmum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Kandyfloss - ~I'm a newbie so please forgive me. You say you've sown your hollyhocks- I've bought some of these too and according to the packet and Mr unwins (great new site BTW) I've got to wait till April? Is that right?

10. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Here's my list of sowings from last year. Started in a heated propagator in GH.
    VEG -
    Tomato
    Summer Cabbage
    Cucumber
    Pepper (swwet)
    Pepper (cayenne)
    Broad bean
    Lettuce
    Melon
    Basil
    Radish
    Potato (in pots)

FLOWERS -
    Dahlia
    Petunia
    Sweet pea
    French marigold
    Lobelia
    Aster

11. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    wow Dave W how big is your propergator?

12. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Hi Dee
    The GH propagator is 23" x 42" and I've another smaller one that we use in the sun porch.
    That list of plants was sown over a period of four weeks. Once the seeds have established I usually grow the tenderer plants on indoors until the GH is warm enough.

13. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ah Dave W...I was gonna say :D

14. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ydd. So pleased with your Brugs. He ain't bad, walnut, is he? Please keep us up to date with the Brugs. (maybe on the "Other Plants" thread). The toms I planted in Jan are looking great. I'm planting some more tommorrow. [​IMG]

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Not all bad Caj only little bits :D