Feed for the lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Passport1, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi. Nearly time to start thinking about getting the mower out and starting the lawn mowing season again.

Havent done it yet.

Would it be idea to give the lawn a feed now and leave for another few weeks and then mow it for first time or is it best to wait and after the 1st mowing then give it a feed to set it up for the season ahead

Any suggestions or recommendations for a good lawn feed to give the lawn at start of the season

Thanks

2. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    @Passport1 - I would mow it now. Adjust the blades to a higher height to just give it a short haircut. It's surpising how much grass you'll collect. May be worth giiving it another cut on the same setting in a week or so to get it back into the swing of things before products are added.

If you've got weeds or moss in your lawn, most weed & feed products will kill most of the intruders, but with moss, you'll need to scarify it as the lawn will end up looking black. Seriouly!

Scotts Evergreen 4 in one is good stuff, so is their lawn fertilizer.

The worst thing you could do is fertilize before cutting as you'll end up with scalped/yellow grass. In an ideal world you shouldn't cut off more than a third of the height. Once fertilzed, it will grow crazily and may need cutting possibtly twice (or more) a week for at least 6 weeks, depending on your grass.

3. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    @Mowerman - Thanks for the reply and really great information. Really appreciate it. Thanks :-)

4. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
  5. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
  6. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks @HarryS . Got the 4 in 1 everygreen in another b&q Store. From looking at the box i need to wait a few days after mowing before applying the everygreen 4 in 1 - right?. Thanks

7. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    They do advise to leave the lawn for at least 3 days after mowing . This is so the grass - and the weeds are growing. Make sure you spread the 4 in 1 evenly and at the correct rate , you soon get the technique for casting it by hand . I think the new formula has anti scorch properties so if you overdose you are less likely to burn the grass . I prefer to spread it when it is about to rain to help its dispersal.
    Hand spreading technique video below . I find the hand held spreading machines awkward to use.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
      +22
      Thanks all for all the replies and information...much appreciated :ThankYou: