feeding and then eating plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by busybee, May 30, 2009.

1. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I really hope this doesn't sound TOO stupid (i am new to gardening so please forgive me if it is a silly question), but if i feed my herbs (they're in containers), is it then ok to eat them? Also, i need to feed some other plants in containers but my rabbits sometimes nibble on them, so is it ok to feed those plants without potentially killing my rabbits?

Appologies if they are stupid questions but i just don't know for sure and would rather check! lol! :hehe:

2. Canucks72

Canucks72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What are you using as a feed? If there are any worries about feeds, they will (or should) be listed on the pack. Most are fine to use on plants that you intend to eat straight away.
    It's pesticides where you have to be careful, they normally say to leave herbs four weeks from spraying until you eat them.
    Besides, you should avoid watering the foliage of your plants with added feed, and try to water the base of the plant. If you have been doing that, I shouldn't think there will be any issue with your bunnies munching on the foliage.
    I use an organic feed and it can be used right up to harvest.

Not sure why you'd need to feed herbs though? They grow really well without any feed. Or are you trying very woody, long term herbs?

3. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    All my herbs are in pots. My rosemary is a bit yellowy so someone on here suggested feeding as it's been in the same pot for about a year. My mint doesn't look as great as it did last year - it has also been in the same pot about a year and i just thought i'd give them all a boost with a feed. I also have a strawberry pot so i was gonna give them a tomato liquid feed. I like the idea of organic food - what do you use? I would only feed from the base, not the foliage. I actually have some slow release fertiliser tablet things i was going to use - does that sound ok? I will read the pack first though!
    Thank you!

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Neither of the herbs should need feeding.Your mint is possibly root-bound in which case try lifting and splitting.

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with Dave, ree pot and split them using fresh compost...... problem solved.

6. Canucks72

Canucks72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Westland Nutri plant feed, it comes in a bright blue 1 litre container from homebase. It's safe to use on all food and herb plants. And is obviously organic.

7. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well i took your advice and went down to the garden centre today for a new pot and some compost. I split the mint and when i lifted it from the pot i could not believe it was actually pot-bound!! The pot it was in is huge (esp considering the small plant that had started off in there!) and although the mint had grown to fill the whole pot i just didn't imagine it would be pot-bound! But then i don't know much about gardening so i have learnt something useful today. I hope i split the mint 'correctly' (if there is a right and wrong way?). I literally just dug down with a trowel to seperate some of the plant and have replanted it into another pot with fresh compost. The remaining plant i have tidied up and kinda replanted back into the old pot, but there's much less of it not so it can grow some new healthy shoots. I have also fed it some liquid feed to help.

Thank you!! :thku:

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have found that feeding herbs impairs the flavour.

9. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ooh thats interesting claire - ive given them one feed so ill see how that treats 'em over the next couple of weeks. I have to say, the rosemary is not looking any better for it yet, but then i don't know if i would see a difference so soon? I fed them a couple of days ago?

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Pure Nitrogen (which you do not want to be giving them :thumb:) would have an almost instant effect, but more general fertilizers take a week or two to notice anything significant.

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Busybee no matter how brutal you are with dividing mint it will always come back stronger than before it's not called a thug for nothing.

If you know someone who has a different kind of mint to you (and you want another kind) just swap a cutting with them all you have to do is pop it in a glass of water and watch the roots grow! Hel.xxx.

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I don't suppose that's where the expression "Making a mint" comes from, eh? :hehe: