Feeding houseplants with household stuff

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by lollipop, Oct 29, 2008.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Question for all you clever people.

I appear to have a Cymbidium Orchid. I was given it as a Mothers Day Present-shoved it on the bathroom shelf and forgot about it. Now I`m more or less indoors reluctantly, I naturally want to get my fingers muddy with this thing-and the parlour palms and Nerines I brought in out of the frost yesterday.

I have been given loads of advice about houseplants on feeding ranging from ( some sublime some sound ridiculous but you just never know).

a-a can of bitter once a fortnight-for the plant that is, it would never satisfy me.

b-a mug full of tank water(fish that is) once a week.

c-a cupful of steeped crushed eggshell.

d-teabags

and the only one that sounds like sense-baby bio and once a month pour a cup of filtered water in.

What do you guys reckon?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I'm not claiming to be clever nor an expert but I've kept Orchids on a north facing window sill for quite a few years now. I never water from the top, just once a week when they are in flower I immerse the pots in tap water with a small amount of baby bio for about five minutes, then let ithem drain completely.

When they are not in flower I just immerse in tap water every 2 or 3 weeks -- but no feed.

They seem to like that, and are in flower for most of the year.

My neighbour has loads of inddor plants, he saves rain water for his, but I don't bother. Sorry don't know about the Palm or Nerine.

Never heard of those other concoctions Claire :) - but I'll have the can of bitter if you've no use for it! :thumb:

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    As we both know John, I always have a home for a can of beer. LOL

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I`m informed they need to get cold at night, is that true?

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    What, beer or orchids :)

Orchids as far as I know don't like direct sunlight - thats why I keep them on a north facing window sill. They do get cold on there (its the landing window), and they don't seem to mind that - just my experience, not read it or anything.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Cheers John, I think they both like the cold-either way, I`ll take your experience on board. Thanks John.

7. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I feed my orchids with orchid feed once a month ,you can buy this small tub of orchid feed in all garden
    centres and this tub of feed will last you a long time as you only need a little.

8. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The fish water IS good for green plants (like the palm), full of nitrogen from the fish ...erm... business.

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Excellent-I say that with relief because well...I gave them some of it already-it made sense to me, that and I didn`t have any baby bio.

Scotkat, thanks, when I next go in a garden centre ( I should say allowed-my hubby thinks, for some strange reason, I can no longer be trusted in the places huh!) I may pick some up.

10. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Claire the orchid feed is in a small yellow 100g tub Chempak Orchid Fertilizer think I was just over £1 couple yrs ago .

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    See now, YOU understand me. I fully intend to only ever pick up a bit of something-a box of fish, blood and bone, or sequestrine or or jute twine etc, swearing I won`t even look at the David Austen Roses, or tree peonies, but you have to check and see if they have anything you can`t be without don`t you?

No, there`s nothing else for it-I HAVE to go.

12. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Claire, it`s Scotkats fault you have to go, not yours.:thmb::thmb::lollol:

13. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    David dont blame me :) I am sure Claire would love to visit any garden centre.:)

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    No, I`m afraid it`s all your fault-you were tempting me with all your exotic plant food talk:lollol:

15. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    If its any help, I used to keep orchids on a bathroom windowsill. The window was north/west facing so it got some sunlight in the afternoon, but the bathroom was always damp (cold damp) and cool (due to a dodgy fitting windowframe, don't ask!). These orchids bloomed all the time so they must have loved it. They were seldom fed them and watered when I remembered!