Feeding Plants.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by brian8451, Jun 27, 2010.

1. brian8451

brian8451 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, in the process of renovating my garden I have stripped out two beds surrounding a gazebo, dug them over, put in a good amount of compost and covered with weed suppressant material. I intend to cover this with ornamental bark before planting up in the autumn. My question is what is the best way to feed the plants in future years bearing in mind I can no longer get to the soil, any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Brian8451.

2. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Liquid feed such as miracle grow would penetrate. I use it all the time and find it grand. It can also be used as a foliar feed so a quick spray over the leaves would help too.

3. brian8451

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Rhyleysgranny, I was also thinking of a liquid feed but wondered if it might just get soaked up by the bark. I suppose spraying the leaves as you suggested might be the only option, I was just hoping someone might have a bright idea.
    Thanks again,
    brian8451.

4. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If you poke the spout of the watering can through the bark you'll get a hit :gnthb:

5. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    If the bark soaked the feed up surely the rain or future watering would wash the feed back into the soil. I also use the liquor from my wormery 10 parts water to 1 of the liquor.

6. brian8451

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again granny, blindingly obvious once someone has said it isn`t it.
    Hi John,thanks for an interesting thought! I wonder how long that would take, living on the south coast it might be half way through summer before we get any rain to talk about.
    brian8451

7. Karl-D

Karl-D Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What you could do is maybe buy a piece of plastic pipe bout 1" and cut in to short pieces and poke in the ground before you put the bark down.
    You just need a small funnel then you can use the watering can to feed.

8. brian8451

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Karl, nice idea and it would work, I think that is the way I shall go.
    Thanks brian8451