Feeding the Garden

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ray.finch, May 19, 2008.

1. ray.finch

ray.finch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    Can somebody advise me on the best way to feed my plants, I have a very large garden with new and established plants along with some acid loving plants, is it ok to use the Westland slow release food if so where can I buy it in bulk or does way of feeding work out to expensive
    I eagerly await some advice
    Many Thanks
    Ray

2. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    If your garden is too big for watering can, use a hose feeder. The food can be swapped for Ericatious food just by changing the contents of the container.
    G.man

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    In a large garden, personally I wouldnt blanket feed, Farr better to spot feed and as mutch as possible to make and use compost.

4. ray.finch

ray.finch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pro Gard
    Sorry to be a pain but could you explain what you mean by "blanket feed"
    Many Thanks
    Ray

5. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    What he means is covering everything at once with the hose feeder. I didn't mean that, you can spot feed with the hose feeder which does have an on-off trigger!!!!! Obviously some plants and shrubs will need more or less feeding than others.
    G.man
    :rolleyes:

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: I use the organic chicke poo pellets on most of my garden, easily available at garden centres.. Easy to apply & dissolve very quickly.. I even dissolve some in a bucket & add the liquid to my watering can for some pots & plants.. It is suitable for most plants.. I do however use an ericaceous feed for those acid lovers that need it ..:)

:) Hope that is some help...

BTW.. Blanket feeding is everything at once through the hose or watering can...;)