female cucumber

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Cooky, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Cooky

Cooky Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a female cucumber plant that had around 10 buds or what ever there called :scratch: 2 flowered but have since fallen off but now 2 others have flowered but so have stayed on

is this normal to happen ??? or maybe it could have been me watering from above :oops: so i now water diretly into the pot and not from above

also whats the best way to support them once the cucumber starts growing i have a can either side of the pot and im trying to train the leaves etc around them is this the right thing to do ?/

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Cucumbers are self-regulating, so once they are developing a couple of fruit, or so, any new flowers that set will turn yellow and drop off whilst the fruit is still tiny. Pick the cucumbers and more flowers will set. (I expect that the stress of moving / planting could easily cause this too)

I support mine with a cane (which is also attached to the roof of my greenhouse to stop it falling sideways). Supporting the plant, and 2 or 3 fruit, is quite a weight, so it needs to be something that till relieve the stem of the plant from that burden, and not topple over!

3. Cooky

Cooky Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have the canes supported on my cucumbers and toms i have a length of wire runing the length of the greenhouse and i have secured the tops of the canes to this

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Yes I've had this in the past. The first few fruit fall off when tiny, but don't despair the plants will recover and be productive. Its maybe because its still quite early for cucumbers. There is no problem with watering above the cucumbers, they like a humid environment. Just don't do it in full sunshine as it may scorch the leaves.

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi folks. Glad this was brought up, as my first fruit looks like it has blossom end rot. I assume that's what we're talking about ? I've only grown cucumbers a few times before and never had much luck with them, and the first fruit has ALWAYS dropped off :(
    Anyway, there seem to be masses of fruits lining up to take it's place, so hopefully, happy days ! :)
    Cheers...freddy.

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I think this is fairly natural from the plant, not a disease. From his book Dr Hessayon (The Veg & Herb Expert) recommends that the first few fruit are picked off anyway, whilst they are quite small, otherwise the plant can 'stall' and you get very low yield.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Mine have done that. Got three cues off each in May (which I was well chuffed with) and they haven't flowered since (which I'm not chuffed with) !!

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    It breaks my heart to nip off and discard those early fruit Kristen, but it can take ages for the cucumber to start up again following the early flush.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    My 3 plants will give us a lot of cues. Taking the first-flowers off two of the plants, and several early cucumbers of the third plant :), is probably the solution I will use.