fence paint/coloured wood paints

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Keinnaf, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Keinnaf

Keinnaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    can anyone recommend any please?

what I would LIKE to do is paint the 7 fence panels down one side of our garden which are currently different shades of untreated brown wood in different shades of green. I was thinking of 2 or 3 different shades so the panels bring different backgrounds to the plants and keep some year round colour. Anyone done something like this? does it look ok? I prefer less bright greens than I have seen around but the cuprinol ones seem expensive. has anyone experience of own brand ones which are good or different shades to try?

We are also getting a new little summerhouse for the children to use, some new trellis in various places and a little arbour seat so I want to paint those. We were thinking cream with berry coloured edges for the summerhouse, cream and lavender for the arbour and probably lavender for the trellis (I love purples and lavenders) and will also have a little picket fence to do so would appreciate any advice or suggestions for things like that too.

thanks in advance

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    Hello Keinnaf
    whenever I have used the standard cuprinol colours I was never pleased with the shades when applied to the fence. The green shade may be a better option . When I painted my garden shed I used Cuprinol Ducksback green , this gives a lovely finish and is still going strong after 4 years , unfortunately this is even more expensive. I would have a look at Wilkos own brand stuff , but just buy one tin first to test the shade/finish.
    [hr]

Update just found that they do tester pots on the cuprinol site , 23 different shades at £1 a pot . Worth a try as some shades leave a little to be desired in my opinion.
    http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/testers/index.jsp

3. Keinnaf

Keinnaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    thank you - very definitely worth knowing given how expensive they are.

will try own brand for the fence then and get testers for the rest!

thanks for your help