Ferraria crispa

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by longk, Feb 16, 2012.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    I am trying to flower Ferraria crispa ssp. nortieri.
    In its native South Africa it grows during their winter wet period, flowering July to September. I gave it a dry summer and it came up as it should in the autumn, but seems to have stood still for a month or two now. I've kept it in the conservatory with overnight temps of 10°c and daytime temps of 15°c (maybe 20°c on sunny days).

Has anyone grown this and got any tips on where I've gone wrong?

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I thought that was your new car. :D I don't know it so had to Google it - most unusual.

However you have raised a question that is vexing me. I have a few things such as Gingers and Chasmanthe overwintering in the warm under a low intensity grow light. But they are growing very well, at a time that I only wanted to keep them alive. They seem to have got out of sync with the seasons.

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    I think that my problem is similar. I'm trying to replicate the SA seasons, and clearly not very well!
    Your Chasmanthe looks interesting!
    I too have a Hedychium (gardnerianium) problem - tuber potted up last May and it is now fully 10cm tall!