Few here Warning Lots of Images

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by johneva, Apr 12, 2010.

1. johneva

johneva Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have moved in not long ago and have started working on the garden but there is a load of plants I dont have a clue what they are (First Gardening Experiance Ever LOL), so could do with someone to ID these plants if possiable so I can find out how to best look after them ect.

Hedge (4 Pics)
    This thing is in a bad way and need some advise, think it maybe to late for it even.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plant 1 (2 Pics)

[​IMG]

Plant 2 (2 Pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plant 3 (2 Pics)
    [​IMG]

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi joneva

I haven't a clue about hedges - though I think it is a pretty standard one.

Plant 1 looks like a Hydrangea. It looks very healthy, and as its name suggests (Hydra-) it likes plenty of moisture.

Plant 2 looks like a Spirea - your's looks well advanced. There is a white one called 'Bridal Wreath', but there are so many named cultivars of many plants that you have to be careful about putting precise names to them. Some plant species have over 40,000 named cultivars.

Plant 3 looks like a Pieris and a big one at that. They are very slow growing - but again the size depends on the exact cultivar. You are lucky to have caught the white flowers, which often go unnoticed. The most noticeable thing about them is the new leaves which will be flushed red.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Agree with Peter. No idea about the hedge, but some sort of privet?