Fig question

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by bumblebee, Jul 17, 2008.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is my Figs second year, and so far no figs have formed, am I just being too hasty or should there be some. Any ideas welcome!

2. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Is it in a 12 -15" pot in John Innes No3. How tall is it?

The roots prefer to be restricted and the figs grow in summer from last summers embryo figs:thumb:

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Tweaky it is in the garden with the roots restricted by a slab, it is about 2 foot tall. I was told to remove all the figs, last year, as they would rot over the winter, they were quite big whenI did this, early winter. Any help please!

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    bumblebee, i've never restricted the roots of figs, although I doubt it has any real effect on the plant, it is a great escape artist.
    My guess is that the restriction thing comes from the days when the victorians grew them in large greenhouses.
    But I could be wrong.

I always take out the growing points after they have formed four leaves, this in itself restricts the growth, and the figs form in the leaf axials of the new growth.
    I tend to get these ones ripen in late summer.
    The overwintered ones, which are tiny at leaf drop, ripen a bit earlier, and are formed on the new growth after the pinching out at four leaves.

Sounds complicated, but other than the pinching at four leaves I do nothing, the plant does it all, I dont even remove the small figs at the end of the season, the plant sheds them itself.

5. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete
    Do I understand that you pinch out every branch after 4 leaves?
    Sorry if I sound a bit dim, but my fig is still very small and I want to manage its development to best effect.

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Plants flower when they think they are dying (take this as general but not specific information).....this is a natural mechanism which either produces seed or fruits (with seeds inside them)

This is how growers can force plants into producing flower or fruit by various means to trick them into thinking the season is over or they are dying......sorry about that, not for the squeamish, heh,heh.

By constricting the roots of Figs, then by controlled watering and feeding, you can get them to produce fruit. That's why the Victorians kept them in containers (they knew what they were talking about.) Another thing...it meant that the plants could be brought in, during the winter.

Is your fig a single stem as the ideal number is three?

Removing fruit for the sake of it is a waste of time...remove it to eat it yea.

Depending upon your climate...they are only semi hardy, so it will require winter protection, particularly against frost.

====================
    Prastio

If you have a small plant, then by pinching out the main stem to encourage a couple more stems is a good idea. For the rest of it...Pete is spot on.:thumb:

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Prastio, yes, I personally pinch out ALL growths at four leaves.

I very much doubt if you will ever find your fig to be tender in Salisbury.
    I find them as hardy as old boots these days, another hang over from the Vics, I think.
    Who lets face it thought camellias were tender:D

8. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Last one I grew died of frost bite, heh,heh.:D

9. WisteriaLane

WisteriaLane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can tell that fig trees are quite hardy (I think they tolerate at least -8 without damage) although they resent late april frosts which might burn some of the new shoots and in more northern latitudes this is more likely to happen, plus the latitude and lack of summer heat also affects the ripening of the wood as you well know... but I think they are generally fine in the milder districts of the UK (at least I have seen many although I don't know about the production of fruits which in some varieties may have two or three flushes and maybe some are not suitable to cooler climates)

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Good point WL.

What variety are you growing Prastio?

11. donmaico

donmaico Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my fig produces fruit but they never come to anything and just drop off in the winter.As far as I know it suppose to produce fruitlets which grow in the following season ton maturity, but this never happens,Anyone know what I can do?

12. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete

Black Turkey. About 4 years old? Very healthy, but only a single stem (no branching) about 4ft 6ins tall. I have removed all embryonic figs for the last two years that I have had it

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    BROWN Turkey?
    Its the usual one thats grown outside in the UK.

What kind of plant are you aiming for?

A fan trained on a wall, a bush or maybe a tree.

How much room has it?

What variety do you have bumblebee?

14. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    I am currently in Italy, and we have a fig tree in the garden - it's quite old, and produces massive amounts of figs, can't advise on how to look after them in the UK, however!! I was told that the area where our house is located was previous (up till about the 1950s) an orchard/market garden for the whole village, and the tree may be a survival from that period.
    Our olive tree has fruited this year as well!! (It doesn't always).

15. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete

Sorry - BROWN Turkey of course. I was thinking laterally about fattening up a bird for Christmas!

When I get round to moving my shed to a new location, the plan is to grow the fig in the South facing corner between the shed and a 2m fence. Probably fan train or possibly cordon.

Any advice?