Fig Tree Cutting

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Flowerchild, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Flowerchild

Flowerchild Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend has a wonderful fig tree that lives in a huge pot and has loads of figs almost ripe now (but then she has a very sheltered walled garden). She has offered me a cutting from her fig tree but neither of us know how to take the cutting.
    Does anyone know how to take a cutting from a fig tree?

2. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    Best to take a hardwood cutting in autumn.
    Take a well-ripened shoot of the current season's growth trim off leaves and soft tip.
    Take cuttings the length of 12 inches (30cm) cutting flush to the main stem.
    Trim cutting to 9 inches (23cm)
    Bury cutting two thirds of its length and if one or more cuttings are taken, place 4-6 inches apart.
    They will take several months to root.

3. Flowerchild

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou!!! I'll have a go.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    Your probably right fonzie, but I'm sure I have managed a few semi ripe cuttings taken about now.
    I take a shoot about six inches long of semi ripe wood, cut off all but the top leaf and tip bud.
    Pot it up in gritty compost and keep it just moist, not wet.
    If that fails Flowerchild you can always have another go later via fonzie's method.

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Earlier this year, I dug around the base of my Fig in it's pot, as a shoot was coming from just soil level, dug down around 2 inches deep, and found it had a root attached. I carefully cut the shoot from the main stem, then dug out the root as carefully as I could and potted up in general compost.

Nothing happened apart from wilting for a couple of weeks, then suddenly, all life came back into it.

It has now grown to around 12" high.

I am going to be trimming parts of my fig later in the autumn, but what I was going to do before that, was to 'layer' parts of the stems first, hopefully they will have rooted by the time I start to trim back the growth I will not want.

Not sure whether it will work, but it is a no lose situation, as i am trimming back anyway, and if the layering doesn't work, Fonzies is the next stage. [​IMG]

6. jardiner

jardiner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have grown them from seed and within 12 months they are the same size as a rooted cutting.......break open a ripe fig and put it in a pot of compost and you will get a couple germinating. Otherwise I do what webmaster does.....I have a couple of different ones and find the black ones take the easiest and quickest.
    Layering works as well, but for me it takes a whole 6 months to root.
    jardiner.

7. Flowerchild

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for all the suggestions......I think I'm going to try all of them....something is bound to be successful.
    I'm really keen to try one from seed, I love growing things from seed!
    Who knows, I may end up with a fig tree plantation if all these methods succeed! :eek: