Figs can be fun

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by hans, Sep 17, 2012.

1. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    hi all, I have grown figs for a few years with varying results. Some years lots and sometimes very few. I now realise they need covering from our sometimes harsh winters here in Mid Wales. Just a couple of plastic sheets with the side open. This year I have been munching my way through lots of them. My plant is about 5ft high with 8ft spread loads of figs. Feeding once a week with tomato food. The last photo is one just picked best kept for one day but quite difficult they are lovely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
      Ratings:
      +2,250
      Nice one Hans! What variety is that? Do you have it in a pot or in the ground? I have one in a pot that I just take into the greenhouse over winter. Am mainly growing it as a foliage plant and am not sure how to grow it for eating. I must say that last pic doesn't look all that appetizing.......:heehee:

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      now I will have to go and buy some...

• hans

hans Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +748
      Sorry to be so late with reply. Hi there both. I don't know the variety. The plant is a few years old it looks after itself apart from the winter covering. When you pick them they are brownish and soft, very juicy and sweet with slightly unusual taste they do look dreadful. The outside is very soft and you can eat the whole thing...at their best when just about to split and fall off. Almost impossible to peel due to the softness. My photo does not show how juicy they are. Growing in the soil by my conservatory/ house corner spot so easy to keep the frost off. Do grow some.

• liliana

liliana Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,580
      ordered one from T&M, Brown Turkey, has arrived and replanted in a slightly bigger pot and will over winter before I put it out next year, as it was not a very large plant. I absolutely lurve figs, fresh, dried, jam and chutney. My late father bought a load of whips over from Italy a few years ago,put the in his greenhouse, and they overtook the blooming thing, just like the triffids. I used to take cuttings when I lived in Cyprus, and turn them into standards, which were very good croppers. How I envy you.

• Like Like x 1