1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Filling large pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Russty, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Russty

Russty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi! I am new to gardeners corner. I have just moved to a new home that has a large pond that I want to fill.

It is two tiered and measures approximately 2 metres x 2 metres. The deepest part is 4.5 feet.

I plan on filling it with hardcore and soil to fill the gaps. Then soil on top. It will require a lot of time to settle I realise.

My question is can I bury some of the pond lining in the deepest part?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    What are you going to do with the space once the pond is gone? Flower bed, lawn, patio? Personally I would take the liner right out and dispose of it elsewhere. Otherwise I would worry about it contaminating the soil as it breaks down and/or interfering with drainage, long-term. Also I would not want to leave it as a nasty surprise for anyone digging up that area in years to come....

I think too it would be sensible to discover what is underneath - some people instal a cement liner before the butyl one, and even if this has not been done the bottom should have been levelled - sometimes just with sand but also with old carpet or similar, which again I would remove. If there is cement I would also smash that with a crowbar or whatever, to improve drainage and help with settling.

I had to do something a bit similar last year -taking out an old pond with a leaking butyl liner, part-filling the hole, and then using the upper part for a new smaller pond (a rigid preformed one) surrounded by a sort of 'limestone pavement' for plants, made from the rockery stones which had surrounded the old pond. I would say that settling should not be too much of a problem if you fill the hole carefully - break up any large bits of hardcore and use a rammer/ jump up and down on it!

Oh and welcome to Gardener's Corner:spinning:! We're a friendly bunch and hopefully other folk will chime in with more advice and opinions soon.:old:

3. Russty

Russty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your informative reply.

This is what I thought. I was hoping that I would be able to cut corners with the lining. But didn’t really expect so.

I plan on most of it being lawn and a small section flower bed. I realise that once eventually filled it will need a long time to settle before it can become a lawn. I was thinking 12-18 months.

This garden is going to be a long term project.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1