filling raised beds with compost?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by keithhampson, Dec 21, 2011.

1. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Over the christmas period I have 2 weeks off work and I am going to spend my time making some raised beds ready for the spring. That's the easy bit, question is what's the best way to fill them up with compost? Is it garden centres a pick up a few bag each time and fill them that way? Sounds expensive but that's the only idea I've managed to come up with up to now? Any other options?

Keith

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    depends on the size of the beds, as this will impact on the costs

I would not use compost on it's own ....

mix compost with good quality topsoil and well rotted manure ... 50% topsoil, 25% good compost and 25% manure

if you need a lot, use google to find a supplier near you (works out cheaper than buying bags from the garden centre) ... or check ebay or your local gumtree

if you are looking at using only 1 mix, you can use a compost that has the john innes number 3 formula .... most garden centres sell this in bags

here is a calculator to help estimate how much you need:

Turf, Topsoil, Bark, Compost, Soil Improver & Topdressing Calculator and How to Measure your Lawn

3. scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
    +238
    You could get it delivered by the ton dumpy bag from here

Topsoil From Rolawn | Top Soil | Soil | Topsoil Suppliers

Alternatively check your local paper. Often people advertise it for free but be a bit careful. You don't know what weeds are lurking so check it thoroughly. Local turf suppliers sell topsoil as do skip companies sometimes.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,986
    You can chuck in topsoil from around the raised bed, then fill in around the lowered areas to make paths (fill in with rubble or gravel or similar to make the paths - maybe look on freecycle if you don't have materials to hand)