Films, your all-time favourites?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Apart from all the many classic "film noir" movies I've collected over the last thirty years, I return to this one occasionally (as I do others) when there's nothing much on TV.
    Probably considered more a woman's film, but I've always admired Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten.

2. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    oh wow, there's so many good ones, i cant decide. :scratch:

one of my recent fave ones is You Don't Mess With The Zohan :gnthb:

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Zulu, Zulu Dawn, Predator, Predator v Aliens, South Pacific, The Needle.
    You guys are so unsophisticated:wink::lollol:

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I agree with cajary, Zulu is an excellent film, based on a true story I believe.

I recently watched Motorcycle Diaries (or Diarias de motocicleta) which I got for £2 in the Sunday Times (not free because I wouldn't have bought the Sunday Times if not for that). It was excellent. Its the story of Che Guavara while he was still a young lad before he became the famous revolutionary.

I also like Easyrider. Heartlands, a story about a guy whose life was in a rutt and his missus ran off with his mate, then the film is all about this bloke rediscovering himself and going from a boring, stagnating soul stuck in his ways to a free spirit with a lust for life.

House of Flying Daggers blew me away.

If I'm not in the mood for something deep, Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns are always good, and the cheech and chong films are about the funniest films I've ever seen.

5. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    This is my all-time favourite film.

There's no sound for the first minute, but stay with it for the entrance of my favourite character from this film at 1min 30. She'd make an impression on anyone dressed like that.

Digressing, when I was working there was a student, one of many, who worked for me part time. She had the same name as this character, on enquiry I found out that her mother too was a fan of the same film and named her daughter after this person.

6. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    ummmm, im getting the feeling that i'm one of the *ahem* youngers members here, at 35? :old:

7. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I don't think it's a question of age, I'm pretty ancient but I've been interested in "film noir" since my teenage years.

8. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    you have a point doghouse riley , its not a question of age. when one of my daughters was about 14 yrs old she knew all the old (silent actors),buster keaton,laurel and hardy,the marx brothers,charlie chaplin,just to mention a few.she knew all there wifes/girlfriends names.she knew the films they had appeared in. she had watched the films so much on video's she knew the script!. to this day when we are playing some parlour game and the question comes up >who appeared in a certain film/actor,we all sit back "she knows the answer". i am her father and i have not a clue!!!!. music.

9. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    so its just me being unsophisticated, huh? i get enough drama etc in real life, i like to laugh and immerse myself in worlds that arent real for a time.

10. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    There's nothing wrong with liking a good laugh.

11. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I don't know whether it's advancing age, but I'm less interested in comedy these days, I've never gone much on comedy films. I and my three kids have a very dry sense of humour, bordering sometimes on the sarcastic.
    There's quite a bit of dry humour in "film noir."

These days I find films with a lot of violence unwatchable.
    As for these gory pathology based TV dramas, I coined a word for them.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Forensick

I'm not ashamed to say I quite like the old escapism film format of "Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl"

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Mine is Star Wars, the Godfather and Spartacus-especially where they all stand up one after another and claim " I'm Spartacus!"

13. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'm with you on that one, if it is believable violence.

I think there is enough violence in the real world without seeing it on TV, and I always find violence sickening, regardless of circumstances.

The exception, for me at least, is when it is so far fetched that it doesn't portray real life. I love Kill Bill volume 1. The grossly far fetched scene with one petite blonde girl (Uma Thurman) single handedly taking on an entire Japanese mob of skilled martial artists and winning, all to a completely cheesily innapropriate sound track is fascinating. Despite the fact that it is portraying sickening violence, I can't take it seriously because it is so unbelievable.

14. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

I'm with you on "Kill Bill" as I still have that on my computer somewhere. The bad time she experiences at the beginning of the film makes you want to see her knock seven shades out of them. I confess I found the "schoolgirl assassin" quite strangely fascinating, (maybe it was the long socks).

I'm actually amazed at the number of extremely violent video games available that teenagers can buy.
    Films of the 40s and 50s had violence but very little blood and "bullet holes" were as rare as rockinghorse doodoo. It wasn't necessary. If someone got shot, they got shot and the plot moved on.

15. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    now i love a good horror! psychological ones are the best, but gore is brill, cos i know its not real. but i cant watch real medical programmes with real blood-yuk!

but i must admit i wont be watching the new Saw 6, cos by the time i saw 4 and 5, they bored the pants off me!!! it had definitely lost its edge.

cant be doing with dramas, or love stories bleh!