Filthy Slugs!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Horndog, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Horndog

Horndog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know this has been done to death on here, but how about dealing with a slug infestation inside the house? We don't have a problem with them in the garden, but we get these foul, fat, green slugs leaving snotty trails all over the place every night. What can we do about it, bearing in mind that we have a cat and can't put anything harmful to him down?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Horndog

2. Prudence Potts

Prudence Potts Gardener

Ratings:
    +37
    I'd be interested as well - we have the same problem!! We have tried everything from salt to copper tape. We THINK that they have been attracted by the cat biscuits in the kitchen. Sadly (for us) our beautiful old cat died three weeks ago but the slugs are still coming - and we can't find out from where. We've had a new kitchen so they're not lurking in rotten units!!

Pru

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, you've got a couple of choices.

You can come downstairs after dark with a torch in one hand and a trowel in the other and scoop the slugs up while they're out in the open. You then take them outside and chop them up. This would be my preferred method.

Or you can put pellets down and cover them with an old saucer or similar, propped up slightly so that the slugs can get underneath but your cat can't eat them (would he really do that?). The trouble with this is that the dying slugs will make a right mess on your floor.

4. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Yuck... about sums that problem up..
    I have no advise, but wish you success in your war against the slugs.
    robert

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Put lines of salt along all the places you suspect they could be coming from. The next day it will be easy to see where they attempted to get in because there will be lots of snot at that point where they first came into contact with the salt.

6. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Clueless - when i was on a slug rampage i killed them with salt. As clueless says - it goes all gooey and mushy when they come into contact with salt

7. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Placing salt and other barriers along the areas where you think they are arriving is, as the two people immediatwly before me said, a very good start.
    I alwas feel very sad when this time of year comes around and the usual "let's kill all the slugs" bandwagon starts rolling. Pretty bad that we have come through so any thousands of years of gardening and still cannot cope with the slug. Some gardeners behave as if they were the devil incarnate. Unfortunately slugs are a fact of life and oen has to expect a certain amount of slugfestation at this time of year. they find their way into our kitchen as wel, and when they do, instead of "chopping them up"or erupting into a fit, I simply pick them up in kitchen paper, take a walk outside, and deposit them - preferably in the grass at the nearby wood. And I can hapilly report that my entire garden has not been devoured, nor have I turned into a two-headed crocodile. There are worse things in life, and gardening, than slugs.