Filthy Veg

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by wiseowl, Jan 7, 2007.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Just read a report in one of todays (PAPERS)?
    Shoppers are going mad for mud on their spuds because they think its healthier.Demand for more natural dirty veg has soared in all supermarkets.
    An ASDA spokesmsn said customers just love them.
    Unwashed spuds are a third cheaper 73p for a 2.5kg bagcompared to �£1.12p for washed.
    Muddy Carrots will be on sale in 10 days,weights
    are adjusted so buyers don,t have to pay for the dirt.I,m not sure what comment to make!

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I remember my Mum complaining about the amount of soil on potatoes sometimes as she objected to buying soil... how things change!
    Still I'd rather have them unwashed as you have the choice of how you wash them- anyone else noticed some veg. smelling of detergent?
    In Cambs we often got carrots grown in the fine black fen soil, very easy to clean.

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I sometimes have boxes of organic veg delivered.... complete with mud and slugs... the mud drives me mad as I don't always have time to wash eveything before putting it in the fridge and you are cleaning it up for weeks!!!!!....... sometimes I think they bung in the odd handful of mud for effects!!!!! :rolleyes:

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My wife always used to complain if i brought home dirty veg so I always had to rinse them off under the tap first. I have heard they use detergent or something to wash them with before they go to the supermarket.

5. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    they're often washed in chlorine which is not very nice. I tend to wash everything myself anyway so I have no objection to a bit of mud.

6. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I can't say that I enjoy washing vegetables, but the salad that you buy in the bags, already washed, is often quite hard and cut in enormous big chunks...

7. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    i like dirty carrots, and leeks
    then i know they are fresh [​IMG]

8. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Unwashed veggies not only seem to taste better but they keep longer if kept cool, dark and dirty (ooo-errr!)

Most kitchens are too hot and fridges too cold for good vegetable storage so I have a north wall cupboard with an airbrick that I use just for carrots and spuds etc., it's also great for bottles of real ale!

9. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I can`t get my head round the colour of carrots in supermarkets.Illuminous.So bright you should wear sunglasses to look at them. :eek:

10. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ahhh! That's 'cos they use tricky lighting.

In the vegie section especially you'll see the spotlights have different hues to make things like strawberrys look extra red or greens look verdant and fresh. All part of the marketing con game!

Ever wondered why when you get 'em home or through the checkout they look gey peely wally? Now you know!

11. june.d

june.d Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    wiseoldowl,
    i'd be interested to see if the prices remain the same. once the supermarkets know we like dirty veg, we'll have to pay extra for it. i'm already having to buy fruit that i'm told i must ripen at home and even my plastic wrapped tomatoes i have to pick off the vine! whats the world coming to!!
    june.d

12. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi June.d,I have some green banana,s.
    I exspect they will employ someone to scr- pe the dirt off and sell it for topsoil. :D [​IMG]

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Another guid Scots phrase you might have to translate, Froggy!

A friend of mine does a version of Taekwndo called Tukido, and they decided on blue outfits instead of white because it "made Scots look gey peely wally"...... And they were probably a' pechin' when they'd finished....... :D

Re filthy veg...... I like mine dirty too, for exactly the same reasons as others, but when you go into Tesco and see their value bags of carrots - loads of them, for very little cost, it does make you wonder who stands the loss. I've been reliably informed it isn't Tesco.....

14. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Dendrobium, I used to be the plant area manager of a well known garden centre here in Wales and I used to very often visit our suppliers, many of which used to supply national multiples. And I was very often told that these companies, (the likes of B&Q and Homebase) would tell the nurseries " this is what we will pay you for these plants if you want to supply us". The nurseries,of course had very little choice if they wanted to survive. And I am sure this practice goes on with farmers and other suppliers today. David