FireThorn aka Pyracantha

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spruce, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi All,

I bought one from B&Q a couple of years ago smothered in berries (orange) on a mini trellis , and ever since I dont have any berries or if I do maybe 4 or 5 if I am lucky !!!.

in full sun early morning, well drained soil , so what going wrong ? its about 2 meters high now

Spruce

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    I'll be interested in the answer to this as I bought one earlier this year. All my berries have dried up and virtually all have dropped but leaves are nice and healthy. The last time I had one was in the early 80s and I just remember it being healthy all the time. Mine gets some afternoon sun but no morning or evening rays.

3. Spruce

Ratings:
    +12,352
    sometimes the flowers look not that healthy I will have a look at what you have mentioned

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We bought a few plants like yours a few years ago and found that for the first couple of years we didn't get many berries and we can only think they were getting there roots established in the ground.Since then they have done better although we find that if the roots dont get a lot of water then the berries tend to shrivel up.:sad:

Also we have found that during August and September when the berries are just ripening,then the blackbirds find them quiet tasty so they have a good feast on them.If we are lucky and have some of the berries survive through to the winter months when we have snow and frost then the Fieldfares visit the garden and they tuck in to them although this is what we bought the plants for in the first place.

Do you know what variety you have as we have Ember Glow but we know people who have the really bright orange berried ones that always have a lot of berries each year and the birds tend to leave them alone,but I think your problem is that they are not yet established enough yet.Also we have more than one plant so not sure if that helps with the pollination plus you need the bees visiting the graden as well to feed on the flowers.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Ratings:
      +12,352
      "Red Column" , so red berries :snork: not orange , well it has been a while since I have seen any