Firethorn not Firing !

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Apr 18, 2011.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    I have 2 Pyracantha coccinea , Firethorn shrubs. The one at the front of the house , 7 years old , has flowered every year late April followed by the lovely show of red berries in the autumn. No problems. The one in my back garden, getting exactly the same amount of sun , was planted in 2009. Its growing very nicely lots of new growth etc etc etc. But not one flower or berry :gaagh: Just gave it a good inspection and no sign of the flower buds forming for 2011 . I have never pruned it or trimmed it . Is there anything I can do to this apparently sterile shrub :help:?

TIA

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Hi Harry I am no expert but I do now that sometimes a spring frost can kill the buds hence no flowers,the only other reason I can think of is perhaps the soil is different at the back ie A soil test will tell you if the soil around the plant is out of salts enough that fertilizing would make a difference. If that's the case, it's usually an issue of nitrogen being excessive (typically from lawn fertilizer nearby) at the expense of phosphorus and potassium.Sorry I can,t help you some more.:)

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Woo could be right on this one:thumbsup: But there is also the unfortunate fact that some individual shrubs can have a genetic fault in them where another identical plant nearby is flowering and the one with the genetic fault never will.:cry3: Let's hope Woo is right.:thumbsup::happydance:

4. HarryS

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    Thanks WOO and Armandii
    I will test the soil . I have had a kit for 2 years so its about time I used it.
    Picking up on the genetic fault , this is possible . So my cunning plan is to hard prune this Firethorn and move it to a corner near my shed . Possibly the pruning and lifting shock may make it spring into action. Now as the flowers on Pyrocantha are just about due , I will look in the GC's near me and only buy a new one that is actually flowering :thumbsup: And hopefully it wont be a genetic mutant ninja Firethorn , this time! :D

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I think your cunning job is a good one, Harry!

6. HarryS

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    Would you adam and eve it ! I was looking at my wayward firethorn yesterday to plan its move to the punishment section of my garden , and there before me were some flower buds :yess: not many but enough . They were not there when I first posted. So publically threatening a plant on GC works , put that one in your top tips section :D