Fireworks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,857
    Well, that time of year is here again, where we will have night after night of loud explosions to terrify our dog, to the point that he actually does try to climb up the wall, the fish tank, me....... I dread to think how non-domesticated animals cope.

Then there is the fall-out, all over the cars, gardens as well as strewn all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be a killjoy, but these fireworks are nothing like the ones we had when we were kids - nowadays, these are almost like small mortar shells, and are so loud they even exceed the volume of planes (and I should know, as Heathrow is practically a neighbour!). Here we are being chastised about running our cars, and air quality (diesel particulates anyone?), and yet there will be at least two weeks of the daily assault of these explosions (given Diwali is on the 7th); how can it be right that any Tom, Dick or Sheila can walk into a shop off the street and walk out with armfuls of explosives, virtually unchecked? How can it be right that they are talking about banning barbecues in cities, yet these damned things get let off every year?

Time for domestic fireworks to be banned or at least curbed in my view -- at the least, the issue needs to be looked at more comprehensively. If you agree, and if you are an animal lover, please sign the petition (not my petition by the way!) - Petition: Ban the sale of fireworks to the public. Displays for licenced venues only.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,279
      Good morning @Fat Controller yes agree 100% my friend it wouldn't be so bad if it was for just the one night,but round here its 3 weeks plus I had better refrain from saying anymore about the idiots who use them in the streets:mute:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,463
        We haven't bought any fireworks for a very long time also we don't do firework displays, i'll be glad if they were banded all together

Fireworks can be bad for life as some people found out down in Somerset a few years back on the M5 :sad:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,354
          Yep same old story, it comes up every year.
          Some bloke from the pro firework brigade was on the TV the other day spouting about how the industry was self regulating and had brought the noise levels down, on the loud ones, so couldn't see why anyone should complain.
          But cant say as I've noticed much difference.

I think the biggest problem is that these days most fireworks appear to have been made for wide open spaces, then the idiots let them off in built up areas from tiny backyards.

Having said that, apart from domestic animals, that at least have some kind of place to hide, you have to wonder how wildlife manages.
          They not only hear the loud noises but also see the flashes etc.

Time they were put into the hands of professionals only, I really cant understand how in these days of "elf and safety", poking its large nose into everything we do, they just seem to ignore the general public wandering around with explosives.
          It's unbelievable.

I assume there is too much money to be made from selling fireworks for anyone in government to even consider tackling the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2