FIREWORKS..

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wildflower, Oct 4, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard any fire works yet ?? I heard some on sunday night the dogs eyes were looking around and when it was time to go to the loo he ran out and back in as fast as he could..
    I am not against fireworks but i do think they should be kept for november 5th and just allowed on that one night..When i was young we only had fireworks on november 5th..where i live they will start a week before and run a week after..as all the local pubs have bonfire displays now ..so it will be like living in beirut for a fortnight..Its not fair on the animals as some of the fireworks are like bombs going off..I know their is now rules bought in but i can tell you that they havnt read them round here..as soon as they go on sale away they go..

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    No fireworks as yet,but the shops are selling them already.People in our village tend to let them off all year round when they find something to celebrate,so sometimes it's like November 5th

3. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Not seen or heard anything here Wildflower,but we live away from it all so to speak.

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats right a lot of you live rural areas..Well you ought to come here some shops open selling nothing but fireworks they take a short lease of 6 to 8 weeks..make a fortune as they are really expensive and close down when its all over.. :mad:

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I hate fireworks merely for the animals' sakes. My Prudy - who died in Jan - was terrified of them. When I lived down in Essex, we were only a short walk from the Town Park and they would have a magnificent (i.e. expensive!!) firework display, The area would almost be under seige for the hoards of people that came from miles away to watch.

But when the dratted things went off you felt like you had intimate knowledge of what it must have been like during the Blitz in London. Poor little girl could hardly breathe for terror....

6. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Used to get idiots firing them at the lorry off the motorway bridges. Dont like distressed animals either . Not much love here for them.

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    Once they start, we get them on and off till well passed the new year, any excuse to make a noise.
    Thing that I cant work out is where all these hard up people get the money to burn.

8. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm afraid I've been spoilt. I've been to the firework displays at the end of the Edinburgh Festival a few times and they are absolutely breathtaking viewed from the middle of Princes Street with Edinburgh Castle as the backdrop. [​IMG] Anything else pales into insignificance.

I think they should be restricted to public displays which would give pet owners a chance to avoid them. Oddly though, my friend's dog isn't the least bit bothered by fireworks.

As a kid I must admit I was pretty reckless, tuppenny bangers in milk bottles or fresh cow pats were the bestest [​IMG]

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    One thing more that makes me glad I've moved up here. Fireworks went off constantly through October to February, and often you'd get other celebrations on a saturday night at other times too, down in Hemel - drove us all dotty. IT shows no consideration at all for others - not just the animals, it's elderly and sick people too - as has been said, those bangs are loud and sudden - horrible! We used to have to make sure evening dog-walks happened by about 5 as after that it was far too noisy.

10. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We went down to Bristol and stayed on a caravan site for Xmas and the New Year in 2001,and the city decided to let off Eight Ton of fireworks to celebrate the New Year.It was just like being blitzed.Our poor dog Tina was terrified and managed to squeeze herself under our bed where she stayed for hours.It was bad enough the year before when we stayed in Cambridge on a caravan site for the Millenium Celebrations.I dread to think how many tons were let off then.Since then loads are let off throughout the year everywhere.

11. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Doh! Why would you be hearing fireworks, peeps?

I thought this all started 5 November or have I been missing something? :confused:

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Missing the joys of idiot British kids, LoL!!

13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Any plum with something to celebrate seems to let one off these days. Like we care, my pooch is a bl00dy nightmare when the bangers go off :rolleyes: I pray for rain in November but it doesn't seem to stop the firework worshipers. Don't get me wrong I love the pretty lights but why do they have to sound like a scud missile has just flattened the row of houses in the next road. Plus these big bangers have 2-3 feet stakes which come down on peoples propety. I have had a car damaged by a large banger stake. I knew where it was fired from and threw the offending item back along with all the casings!

I thought the government or whoever was supposed to be restricting the sales of fireworks. Public displays are great but its Mr and Mrs money to burn that need a rocket up their ar5es.

Mmmm feel better now!

14. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We heard fireworks again last night looks like its going to be regular now till after november 5th..We allways turn the television up and loose the dog out for the toilet about 6 before the worst of it starts.. then he has to wait till it goes quiet before he can visit the loo again..Their is also that festival of light i cant ever remember whether its just before bonfire night or after..whatever its really loud..!
    bonfire night here in a city goes on and on for weeks..
    Their are some horses tied up by me and every bonfire night they escape with fright...
    I think their should just be organised displays..

15. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    My 3 dogs and 2 cats are not at all bothered by fireworks- the dogs will occasionally yap at a loud bang but as they see I am not worried, neither are they.
    I love bonfires and fireworks and would hate to see everything banned because of a few thoughtless people, so I agree that maybe organised displays only are the answer.