First Cut

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by David G, Feb 21, 2009.

1. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All

First cut of the lawn this year seems early considering the cold weather we have had lately??

Somebody said it was too early why would that be and what could happen, it would be awful if it stunted the growth and I only spent half the time mowing this year, ha ha!!!

Dave

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    I did mine yesterday, Grass is fairly hard to kill IMO.

If and when I cut mine early in the year, it is always on a sunny day (as was yesterday) and not freezing cold.

Saying that, I noticed locally that they were cutting turf off a field, so cutting grass is not nearly as bad as exposing the roots to frost etc ;)

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Did the same yesterday for the same reasons-looks lovely today-and I DID try to kill mine.

4. benacre

benacre Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Grass can really be cut all year just dont shave it. Little and often is much better. Grass is pretty tough that's why we use it on lawns. Frost is the biggest problem with grass but the brown blades are killed the roots will still produce fresh shoots. I would cut to about 1/2 inch at the moment until april or may or when all risk of frost is gone.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yup, I agree with all the advice above. Only thing I would add is to try not to cut it on a day when there is likely to be frost that night. Which is tricky because you want a sunny dry so that it is warm and dry ... and they lead to frost the following night of course.

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I cut my grass today :gnthb: just as i was nearly done the Lawnmower Gave up, capoot, Motor gone :skp: its not that old either.. Lucky I have a Push Lawnmover then :)

7. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I've been tempted but did mine early last year (begining of feb) and I cut it too short and took ages to get it looking good again. Will be keeping an eye on the weather for a good few days :) Then I can attack the moss too

8. benacre

benacre Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes shaving the lawn will cause it to become miserable and hard to get back. so little and often is best

9. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,097
    :) Just strimed the edges and the long bits and tilled the soil around it......looks nice........Got my garden back from the ice and snow.
    YIPPEEEEEEEEEEE.......:yho:

10. ericd

ericd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I used my Stihl Multi System and gave the lawns the first scarifying of the year.

Filled three big bags of dead grass.

Front lawn was in very good condition, not much came up. Interestingly the front lawn was the one where I did 'top dressing' for the first time. It was green, lush and very strong. It produced a fantastic fresh smell too.

Back left lawn needs another go.

Anyone else scarify?

11. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I get the men from Green Thumb to do it for me.........

12. rpdiy

rpdiy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes i scarified am lawn last week and filled a wheelie bin with moss only to be expected after a wet year last summer

thanks rpdiy

13. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    I cut my lawn whenever I get a chance and as long as it isn't frosty. The last cut of the year for 2008 was the first week in December and the first cut this year was the first week in January. :gnthb:

14. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Had the weather been as good today as it was yesterday, I would have cut my grass today, but sadly using an electric mower on wet grass could have led to a few sparks as such. Fortunately, I still got to smell that Beautiful smell of fresh cut grass, because my next door neighbour has a petrol mower and did his this afternoon, for which I thanked him. He thought I was pulling a fast one, but I seriously LOVE the smell of fresh cut grass.

15. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    :gnthb:Mine hasn't begun to grow enough yet!!...Happy days:D