First Time Editing an Image with Gimp

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Aesculus, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I'm rather proud of my first atempt using The Gimp for actual photo editing (I've used it to crop and resize before but thats it...) the original was a nice image but the leaf in the top left corner was bright yellow and distracted from the flower (Primula elatior ssp. meyeri) and then there were brown flecks on the petals (pigeon damage)

What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Very good. Gimp seems pretty powerful to me, but I'm not a graphics expert. My mate who is, reckons that it doesn't compare to Photoshop, but I can't say either way.

Regardless of software choice, your pic is good. My only criticism is that the flower almost looks superimposed on the background. Did you tone down the background?

3. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Yes I basically just de-saturated the entire image and then picked out the flower... I was thinking of ways to blend the flower in better =/ it would be nice to have a mouse instead of using a trackpad:heehee:

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Years and years ago when I was at Uni (in a previous life) and forced to do graphics as part of my computing course, Photoshop had a tool called feather or something, that was designed to take the sharpness of the edges off an image (not the same as blur which chucks all the detail away) the feather tool was used to ease the contrast between effects along the edges.

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    A very nice touch of editing, particularly for a first try!
    Paintshop Pro and Adobe Photoshop both have feather options which are very effective when copying and merging images.
    Paintshop isn't too expensive particularly if you look on Ebay and go for the last but one version.
    Photoshop CS5 costs an arm and a leg but as a student you'd qualify for a very substantial discount - £163 as opposed to £935! Might be worth thinking about while you are still a student.

See -
    http://www.software4students.co.uk/

6. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,630
    Hi Aesculus yes its a very good start,I have Adobe photoshop CS4 extended and Paintshop Pro 11 but also have just aquired Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 which is almost the same as CS4 and for round about £55 is exceptional value.:)(The ones in red were gifts.).

7. hugh

hugh Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Aesculus

A very good
    first try:dbgrtmb:, we all stated somewhere, editing a photo is another learning curve,
    like photography it tacks time and plenty of practise making mistakes and more mistake
    is how we learn and with help of others, aesculus there are sum very good editing
    tutorials on utube and they are free worth looking at, Iv been using photoshop
    for some time now and still learning, currently Using Photoshop CS5 exsdended
    wow a powerful programme, but your shot well dun

Hugh