1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

First year growing some beauties.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by MFJones, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MFJones

MFJones Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Been looking for somewhere to get some tips on growing a few bits I've never had the pleasure of growing yet. (Did make a thread in another section but this seemed like a better suited place for my journal

I'm in the midlands, 28 years old, have a garden that is small but gets the sun most of the day.

What I'm currently growing:
    1 Jalapeno chilli plant.
    1 Red pepper plant.
    Few herbs: coriander, basil, parsley & chives.
    Carrots
    1 Sunflower

I have a plant/tree stump I cut back last year aswell and know it's bushing up I'd love to know what it is and transplant it into a large pot.
    I think it could be a Pieris Japonica plant.

Cheers!!
    Pics later it's not letting me upload right now

2. MFJones

MFJones Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Jalapeno Chilli plant.

20170715_174245.jpg

Red Pepper plant

20170716_211847.jpg

My random stump :)

20170716_202131.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      Hi @MFJones I think you are right about your stump being a Pieris you can keep them pruned to nice size shrubs.. I love the pots, just make sure they don't dry out during the day in this hot weather, you might need to water morning and evening..
      If potting compost is allowed to dry out it is very very hard to rehydrate it.. I stand most of my pots in saucers this time of year.. I water and check on them an hr later and tip away any remaining water/feed.. ;):SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
      • MFJones

MFJones Gardener

Ratings:
        +43
        @Marley Farley great couple of tips there, thanks!
        The leaves on the chilli are drooping is that overwatering?
        Was worried about drowning them out.
        Feed wise all I have at the mo is liquid seaweed and some babybio i had knocking about.

I really want to clear the end of my garden out completely but keep this Pieris Japonica, how easy is into move into a big pot?

Pics is the end of the garden, gonna remove all the ivy and rose climber, clear the brickwork and make a new bed. The Pieris Japonica is on the right 20170717_102332.jpg

Cheers

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,640
        Not wanting to put you off @MFJones but the pepper and jalapeno really should be a bit bigger than that at this time in the growing season.
        Both plants respond to heat and I've never found either to be that great when grown outdoors in the UK.
        If you have somewhere under glass you could put them they would benefit from the extra heat.:smile:
        Neither need feeding at this stage, you start feeding once they are well established in their pots, ie. roots filling the pots.

Why did you cut the pieris down to a stump?
        And why dont you leave it where it is and work round it?

• Like Like x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          :sign0016: to GC @MFJones
          Wondering what you are thinking of replacing them with? :scratch: The reason I ask is because both are good for bringing bugs/wildlife into the garden which, as you are growing mainly herbs/edibles, would be very beneficial.

How long have you lived there? The reason for asking is because I get the impression you haven't been there long? In which case, you may yet have things in the ground already which could still pop up on you.

Is the garden mainly paved?

• Like Like x 1
          • MFJones

MFJones Gardener

Ratings:
            +43
            I'm wondering why the leaves on this one are drooping, I have conflicting advise like under watering... or over watering! Completely opposite
            20170718_203931.jpg

@pete I wasn't going to really grow anything this year and missed the boat by a month or so to catch the early months of sun. So buggered up a bit on that one.
            Next year I'll be ready and waiting!
            It was more of a clearing out this year, which we (me & gf) did last year and then just left it again.
            Managed to grab a few half decent looking plants (the chilli & pepper) from a local garden centre nursery and repotted them into these straight away.

@"M" Thanks for the welcome! Glad I've found a place people actually respond :yay:
            Just over 3 years. Moved in June 2014, did nothing at all to the garden as a whole for the first year, starting second summer I weeded everything, there was a lot of completely dead brittle plants like herbs and grass like shoots. So we left what we thought was ok to keep. Did nothing to it to maintain though so nothing grew too much.
            This year we pulled eveything out, renewed soil/mixed with existing in both risen flower beds (will pit a pic up of whole garden tomorrow

I've got the rose climber and the Pieris at thw back. The spil there seems awful though.
            Middle risen bed empty. No soil or anything. Front bed is 70% new compost and 30% old.

And then my pots :)
            But yes paved bar those bits!

• Like Like x 1
            • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              I too would leave the pieris where it is.....it looks too big (rootwise) to go into a pot. However, if you do pot it MF Jones you must use ericaceous compost and I suggest ericaceous john innes.:)

• Like Like x 1
              • MFJones

MFJones Gardener

Ratings:
                +43
                @Verdun I probably will leave it where it is now for now unless i get a huge pot for it, Or somewhere new to put it in the ground if we move.

Really wondering about my chilli plant whether I've over watered or under watered. Please help me :) :please::hotsun::hotsun::hotsun:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • MFJones

MFJones Gardener

Ratings:
                  +43
                  Here is the Jalapeno Chilli plant. Drooping? Any suggestions ? 20170718_203931.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • MFJones

MFJones Gardener

Ratings:
                    +43
                    @"M"
                    Full garden
                    (Landlord sorting the damn fence out next week haha)
                    20170719_184203.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,640
                      The pepper/jalapeano leaves are not drooping, it looks fairly normal to me.

But they are in big pots for the size of the plants, so go easy on the watering.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +31,885
                        Cor, you've got a couple of lovely raised beds there to play with! :dbgrtmb:

Has your landlord put any "restrictions" on what you can do with the space?

• MFJones

MFJones Gardener

Ratings:
                        +43
                        @pete glad to know, left them for a full like 40 hours and just gave them a big soak through and will see how it goes.
                        The little pepper one seems small but healthy enough

@"M" I tend to run most things past the Landlord out of courtesy but it's always a yes, im improving the property if anything surely!
                        Both raised beds are about 3 bricks deep and then just hollow underneath so if a hole, soil falls through,
                        The nearest bed seems the best, it's fine for holes and It's ready to plant in.might mix some perlite or something through it (suggestions) but nothing much else.
                        The one on the left needs a bit of tlc, but can be just as good and used to be a herb garden/bushmix. Has holes which can be patched just need more fresh soil.