flap-phobia

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Annemieke, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +133
    Fatso, one of our three cats, has flap-phobia. I don't know why. The result is that he sometimes pees in the house, just because he does not like to use the flap. This happens mostly at night or when we're not around. We haven't got a cat box, as all our cats have learned to go outside. Most of the time he does this too, just not always.
    I'd rather not lock all three cats outside for the night, nor do we fancy (or have space for) installing a cat box.
    Has anyone got any ideas how we can help him get rid of this phobia?

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Food , is the best way , entice him through the flap every time he goes through give a treat.

is Fatso a clue ?? can he fit through ok ? and is his eyesite ok as if its more night time ?.

I had a dog that hated the car she was fed in the car for two weeks , she soon loved the car then a little journey , solved that problem .

• Like Like x 1
    • Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +133
      Yes, he is rather large. That did not seem to deter other, equally fat ones we had though. The food is a good idea, thanks!
      View attachment 14359

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      It could be that he sees the reflection of himself and he thinks it is another cat or maybe he feels an unfamiliar smell.

In any case you could try raising the flap by for example sticking some felt pads on the side or something else that doesn't make a crunchy noise and smells familiar. It always help to spread the cat own smell by rubbing the clothes/blanket he sleeps on to attract him.

• Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +133
      I'm afraid there's no chance of him seeing his own reflection - I might just clean it up a bit ....
      Otherwise, I'll have a go - thanks! Nice phot, by the way.
      View attachment 14364

• Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +133
      By the way (again): my attachments don't seem to work. They do work on the preview. But when posted, the reply says "View attachment 14364" and when clicked on that leads to an error. ????

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,126
      One of my cats hated the cat flap & in the end I used to post him back & forth through it a couple of times a day with treats afterwards for a few weeks & wouldn't open it for him..! He soon got the hang of it, but one thing we found was that he didn't like pushing his way through it.. He would prefer to hook it open from his side & climb through with the flap behind him..!! :heehee:

• Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +133
    • hans

hans Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +748
      Cats are so funny. A few years ago we had a cat that was caught peeing in the sink more than once. This would happen mostly on really bad weather.

For your cat ..The treat thing seem likely if not too good for the weight./small treat?

• Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +133
      :heehee: I have been trying the treats, I don't think it works: he goes out through it most of the time, just not always. Also we have three cats and it is tricky to make sure the other two aren't around.
      I think a problem for him is that sometimes either his mum or his sister wait at the other side of the flap, and may attack him. He is the biggest of the three but .....
      Re the weight: you'll be surprised to hear that we barely feed out cats, they only lick the plates and stuff themselves with mice, rats, and rabbits. Good for the garden!
      Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset UK: http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com.

• Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +133
      He does go through there if I put food outside, but usually only after some hesitation, when he is sure noone is going to open the door for him. However, yesterday he peed in his corner again. I think the reason is, he is afraid one of the others is waiting for him out there to bif him on the nose. Which they are, sometimes! Can't do anything about that ....
      Also, it may have become a habit. How can I make that place unattractive? I once read you should spread pepper, but that has never worked for me, even if it is freshly-ground.
      Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset UK: http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com