Flash Floods

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Folly Mon, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
    Ratings:
    +2,409
    Flash Floods

On our Door Step in our local town

And Some poor old boooger got washed away in ludlow shropshire :cry3:

We Think We Got Problems?? NOT

My Fish Pool Nearly Over Flowed :yikes: just laydled some out looks like i will have to make an over flow other wise ile end up on the lawn :fishing:

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,883
    Sounds horrendous Nick - I've been listening to Sally traffic all afternoon, and it seems to be widespread.

Makes me feel really bad for being miserable about the heat we've got here.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, the floods are going down here now.

4. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    When the storm hit between 1.15 and 1.45 today education was totally impossible in my classroom for the duration, between tears of fright and over-excitement!

• Like Like x 2
    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +29,477
      Although it hasn't exactly been hot here just making 20c at least it has stayed dry all day.

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        A few years ago when Sheffield sunk, I had to find my way home from one side of Don valley to the other. A journey that is usually 2 miles took me several junctions up the motorway, and nearly 5 hours just to find a passable route through.

As I re-entered Sheffield from the north, and drove through some of the villages on the outskirts, I nearly shed a tear. The roads I was finding were slightly raised up so had escaped the worst of it, but side streets running down hill were just wrecked. I passed one house and the front garden was just gone. Not that its plants had washed away. The whole garden was gone. There was just the rocky subsoil, no soil in it, it had all washed away. I knew that those poor people weren't just going to have to replant, they were going to have to buy in a lorry load of soil before they could even start to rebuild. The whole area was like a war zone, with physical destruction everywhere, and a total blackout of power over a wide area. Not a single working street light, no working traffic lights, few passable roads, gardens completely gone, it was just carnage. So, you're right, it does put things into perspective.

Oh, my house was alright as I knew it would be. It was on the side of the valley wall, near the top, so no danger of flooding, but those poor people down in the basin. Terrible.