Fleecing

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by prepareathome, Oct 3, 2011.

1. prepareathome

prepareathome Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Having just planted 51 Rosemary plants in hope of them growing to form a hedge I wonder if I should cover them all with fleece for the winter, and going by the weather forecast , should I do so now in readiness for the temp dip?

Have my autumn vegetables under fleece tunnels as was told that was a good idea being in North England.

Thanks

Debbie

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Debbie
    I think the drainage is the key , Rosemary hates water lingering around its roots so as long as you have good drainage this will help big time with getting them through the winter , if they are small plants I would if you can give them some xtra protection for this winter only and I would let them get on with it after that , I remember you saying on another thread that they will be planted close to a public footpath , so I would go for cheap and cheerful if you think it will be pulled off.

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,991
      Make sure the fleece is well supported, when it snows the fleece can crush your veggies otherwise :dbgrtmb:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Sticks with upside down yoghurt pots will help do that.

• prepareathome

prepareathome Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks, yes the plants are all at the most 12ins high and only have been in the ground 3- 4 weeks and planted about 12 -15ins from my 3ft fence.

The fleece tunnels I have are 2ft wide and I think would be to much of a temptation for people not to help themselves so I will just use fleece sheets and as the plants are about 18ins apart I could put one big stick in between each one and hopefully it will hold it up over the plants if we get snow as bad as last year.

I will try out the fleece tunnels tomorrow and see how they look. - There is a picture of them covering my veg now in my album

The ground they are in doesn't usually get waterlogged as its higher than where the house is and so water runs down - my left flowerbed is usually where I can end up having a nice pool so apart from Yuccas which seem to like it, rest of bed has pots that can be moved when ground flooded and stays for a week or two.