Flies in compost bin

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Gerry, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Gerry

Gerry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a compost bin and am filling it with a mixture of greens and browns. I am now wondering if I am doing anything wrong because there are loads of little flies inside the bin and some flying around outside. As I am a complete beginner any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Not a problem unles you are putting meat in. Don't! Compost only happens when insects, their larvae and bacterias eat, digest and excrete the raw material and it gradually turns into lovely, brown crumbly sweet smelling compost. The process is far from instant and can be messy. Keep the lid on and let the mini-beasts do the work for you. Just make certain you only put vegetable material in and no hard twigs or rose prunings and such.

3. Gerry

Gerry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your helpful advice. I will happily continue filling my bin up and look forward to all that sweet smelling compost!

4. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I usually get little white flies which may even be tiny moths, I must look at them through the magnifying glass one day.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Probably fruit flies as the name implies probably feeding on your fruit waste they are no problem at all part of the composting cycle