flies in the compost tumbler....?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by KathrynJ, Jul 19, 2010.

1. KathrynJ

KathrynJ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :help: Whenever I open the door of my compost tumbler, I get a face full of tiny flies... which isn't nice. Is there any way of getting rid of them?... or reducing their numbers?
    Thank you.

2. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +866
    I think you'll find they're only fruit flies after the things they find sweet, (not harmful but equally, not nice when you get a face full) and they can help with decomposition.

There are a number of things you can do - when I get them in mine, I tend to lift the compost bin lid at a distance and let 'em fly out before approaching, however, too many is often a sign that the compost is a bit too wet, so add more 'browns' on top of the wetter stuff, covering kitchen/fruit scraps with a layer of newspaper, shredded carboard, grass clippings or a layer of soil - doing this, I find they pretty soon disappear.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I second Fidgetsmum. Covering the composting material over with something solves the problem.

4. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Love the name Fidgetsmum! LOL

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    What about my name JohnBinks . I'm Alice because my daughter says I just live in Wonderland. She means Off the Planet :wink:

6. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well alice, now that I know what your name means, yes it's just as good. I must admit though 'Fidgetsmum' gives a graphic meaning straight away.

7. KathrynJ

KathrynJ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +866
    It's origins are easily explained - when our 3 daughters were small, they behaved like small children, wriggled a lot, couldn't sit still and thus became known collectively as 'the fidgets' - in fact, despite now being in their 20s they're still referred to in the same way, especially when they're invited or descend en masse. :help:

9. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanyou for that Fidgetsmum. That explains it very well!
    John

10. Julie Q

Julie Q Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have the exact same problem. Nearly everything we put in our bin would, I think, be described as 'greens'. Its nearly all kitchen peelings and old allotment plants.

After putting in some new material, would it be ok to cover it with a few sheets of newspaper? Layer the bin green / newspaper & cardboard / green / newspaper etc etc?

11. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the flies in question are just harmless fruit flies but yes they are a pest when one opens
    the compost bin lid, they don't taste good. a layer of newspaper or an inch or two of spent
    compost will stop them for a while.

Pete