Flooded Lawn

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Beaderselbow, Apr 24, 2023.

1. Beaderselbow

Beaderselbow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I wouldn’t consider myself to be a gardener so please any help needs to be simple
    Our lawn floods so easily. Unfortunately it is approx 4 inch below patio. What would be the simplest/cheapest solution. We are both pensioners so digging out for drains won’t be a possibility. As I said I’m not a gardener, my husband is less of a gardener. Would it work if we raised the lawn level with soil and building a low retaining wall between lawn and patio. Our sons are terrific and will help but we want to try do as much as we can ourselves. My dad was an amazing gardener but no longer here to ask for advice
    Any sensible suggestions are welcome

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    Not sure but waterlogged lawn is usually caused by a few main issues, which are all related to water not being able to drain through the soil. Even your lawn could be uneven i am sure someone on the forum will know a way

• Like Like x 1
    • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,155
      It depends upon how much the lawn floods. Unless its submerged to the point that the grass yellows and dies, avoid expensive engineering. Adopt a strategy of
      a) Not walking on it when wet (to reduce compaction) If you need to access a shed or similar and there is no path, consider stepping stones cut in flush.
      b) Allow the grass to grow longer in autumn-winter-spring( to encourage root growth which will penetrate deeper, assisting drainage)
      c) Apply sharp sand lightly and brush in( to open surface to drainage) If clay soil, dressings of lime and organic matter will encourage ground organisms to 'work the magic' of nature.
      d)Consider whether 'spiking' is manageable, perhaps by sons. Would be best done prior to c)

• Like Like x 2
      • Beaderselbow

Beaderselbow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Thank you so much for this