Floribunda Romance

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Monsclara, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Monsclara

Monsclara Camera shy!

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi everyone

My friend was given a Floribunda Romance rose as a wedding present. Not an expert in gardening but I think this is a repeat flowering shrub rose? She needs to work out where to plant it. Would it be OK in a container or should she plant it in a border....................or somewhere else?
    Thanks, Monica

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Monica Romance yes a delightful medium pink floribunda rose:)
    Grows to 100cm high and 80cm wide,fragrance 3-5 ( scented)it flowers from late spring to the first frost.its foliage is large leaves and glossy medium green,you can use it for mixed Planting, Large Beds, Small Beds, Containers, and as a Specimen:)

It has 20 Petals
    It was bred by Rosen Tantau and was introduced in the UK in 1986:dbgrtmb:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Monsclara

Monsclara Camera shy!

Ratings:
      +14
      Wiseoldowl - any suggestions for planting like does it need manure or fertiliser and what would be the best compost mix? Thanks

• Monsclara

Monsclara Camera shy!

Ratings:
      +14
      I imagine they will put it in the ground. It's currently in a 3L pot. Do you think it might be better in a container?

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,663
      Hi Monsclara This is only my personal opinion I would hesitate putting a floribunda rose in a container ,as I personally don't think they last as long and they aren't as comfortable as they would be in the garden,but if you want to put the rose in a container then please do my friend:)

GROWING ROSES IN CONTAINERS

THIS IS ONLY WAY THAT I DO IT
      AND HAVE FOUND THAT IT HAS GIVEN ME
      THE BEST RESULTS OVER MANY YEARS.

The best compost that I have found is a loam-based John Innes No 3 to which 10 to 20 percent multi-purpose compost .I position the container before filling with compost as it may be too heavy to move once planted up.Roses love sunshine and should receive sun for at least half the day. However it is imperative that container-grown plants do not dry out or they will become prone to powdery mildew. If possible I try to position the container so that it is shaded for part of the day, leaving the plant itself in full sun.

Ideally I pot up plants in November using bare-root plants, but container-grown plants will do as well, and can be potted up any time between October and April.

DRAINAGE
      Keep the pots raised on feet and add a drainage layer of gravel at the bottom to ensure good winter drainage.

FEEDING
      Roses use up food reserves quickly and grow better if top-dressed each spring with a granular rose fertiliser. Avoid feeding after August as soft growth may be damaged by cold winters.

MULCHING

Mulch with a 5cm (2in) top-dressing of well-rotted garden compost or manure to help retain moisture and enrich the compost.

TOP-DRESSING

Every second year, remove the top 5cm (2in) of compost and replace with a fresh layer.

• Monsclara

Monsclara Camera shy!

Ratings:
      +14
      Thanks Wiseoldowl. Sounds like planting it in the garden is a better solution and may have better survival possibilities as my friend (like myself) isn't too handy in the garden. In that case, I guess the compost mix you describe above works for the ground too?

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,663
      You are most welcome my friend,this link might be of some use to you:)

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/planting-roses.6225/

Prepare a planting mixture of compost mixed 50/50 with garden soil. Line the planting hole with a 5cm (2in) depth of planting mixture, place the rose in the hole, checking that it is at the correct depth, and fill the hole with the remainder of the planting mixture. Gently firm down, topping it up with a covering of normal garden soil to the correct depth if necessary, then water-in well with about 5 litres (approximately 1 gallon) of water.