"Flower Power?"

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mr.Mc, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Mr.Mc

Mr.Mc Apprentice Gardener

Substance misuse worker
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flower and planting advice.

I would be greatful if you could look at the photos i have taken of my front garden and suggest any flowers that would contrast with and enhance my predominently blue and green garden.

I wish to split the purple/blue geraniums and add something similar in yellow or orange (if such a plant exists).
    The flowers do not have to be big (i will buy more than one) but they must have an abundance of flowers (I love dead heading!).
    They need to be perenials or self seeders and it would be nice if they spread out to fill in all the gaps around them.
    Not too tall near my geraniums (1 foot) but may be a little taller next to the wall (2-3 foot).

I live in Newton-le-Willows in North West England and the soil is clumpy although i am improving it year by year by adding my own and shop bought compost when planting out. My front garden is not the sunniest place (N/E facing) although my other plants/flowers seem to have have done quite well.

Thank you in advance for all your help, it will be greatly appreciated. Mr.Mc & Family :thankyou:

Attached Files:

2. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    I've had a think and here are some plants for you to google and see what you think ..... they're all going to spread/carpet the ground, some taller than others but none over 12" high.

Helianthemums - these come in the red and yellow spectrum, various shades of. Ground hugging.

Alpine Dianthus - in the white and pink/red/maroon shades. Ground hugging.

Hardy Nemesia - in the white and pink spectrum, very scented. More upright to about 7" high.

Dwarf Gypsophila - a white and a pink type. Ground hugging ones aswell as upright ones which get to about 10".

Carpet Roses - in all colour spectrums. Upright to about 10-12" and then they tip-over and splay out.

Epimediums - pink aswell as yellow spectrums but mostly spring flowerers, not summer. Upright to about 10".

Alstromerias - pink and yellow spectrum. Ground hugging types aswell as dwarf types - spreading quickly.