Flowering Dogwood - cornus florida

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by manderson60, Aug 14, 2007.

1. manderson60

manderson60 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a flowering dogwood ... but it has never flowered. I planted it four years ago. The autumn colour is wonderful but I am tempted to say goodbye to it if it is not going to flower. I know sometimes plants really need a few years to totally establish before they flower. Can anyone advise please?
    [​IMG]

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hin Marion and welcome. Plants need potash to set flower and fruit, so I would suggest you start feeding your dogwood with Tomato feed. Apply twice a week for the rest of the growing season. This will help it produce flowers next year. David.

3. manderson60

manderson60 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks David. I will give it a go [​IMG]

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    David is right about feeding Marion, but don't expect masses of impressive blooms on dogwood as the flowers are fairly insignificant. Dogwood is mainly grown for the autumn foliage and colour of the stems in winter garden.

5. manderson60

manderson60 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think that I should adopt the same feeding regime on a plum tree which has produced massive crops every except this year? I got no blossom what so ever and so no plums. [​IMG]

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Marion, if you have any plant which should flower but doesn`t will benefit from feeding with tomato feed.Also if you treat plants, which always flower, with tomato feed they will do even better next year. David.

7. manderson60

manderson60 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave I have been out today with the tomato feed. I will send you photos of the expected blossom next year. [​IMG]

8. manderson60

manderson60 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    oops sorry.......thank you David [​IMG]

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Some useful info regarding plant feed was posted earlier here Marion.
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002948#000005

If you want to encourage flower/fruit you need to aim for a high proportion of P in the NPK balance. Liquid tomato feed is OK but isn't the most efficient or cost effective way to feed as you'll see by the data that PeterS collated.

Your plum tree could be having a rest year if it cropped heavily last year as they tend to do this after heavy fruit production. Though no blossom at all is unusual.

10. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi
    Funnily enough, as a new gardener & reading books (but retaining little knowledge) I remember reading about this plant. As far as I know it's one of those that doesn't have alot to show, but is good for nearly year round 'greenage'. is that right? I think i looked at it for winter type plants & it's no good for me, cos i do pots & that's all - very small garden & brain!!!
    let me know what happens.
    sandra

11. -Lisa-

-Lisa- Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Mine does flower but I have to say you aren't missing much, the flowers are tiny and don't do much for the plant. I prefer mine in the winter when the leaves have fallen off

Lisa