flowering times ... bit of a rethink needed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by biker, Jun 28, 2009.

1. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed the last few years that 'traditional' flowering times of various plants need a bit of revising - at least in my garden!

For instance in one part of my garden I had hoped that Liatris Spicata and a deep pink poppy would flower together (as in previous years) at about this time of year. Indeed they are, but the Crocosmia which used to flower just behind them much later in the year is about to come out too. Causing a nasty pink and flame orange/red clash.

I'm not a perfectionist gardener and happy for things to do whatever they like, but I've seen this combination before and it's ... for me anyway, really jarring.

In other parts of the garden quite a few 'autumn' flowering plants seem to be getting earier and earlier.

I'm going to have quite a lot of plant moving to do come the autumn :-(

Anyone else noticed this?

2. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I am glad you said that. I always associated crocosmia with the kids going back to school in September. I have photos of them with crocosmia in full bloom in the background. This was over thirty years ago. I too have it blooming much earlier July time now. I just thought it was my age:hehe:

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Crocosmia grows like a weed in County Mayo where I have friends. It was flowering in profusion a couple of years ago in September.

I've noticed a few "late summer" flowering plants are getting ready to bloom soon - Rudbeckia, Goldenrod, even a few Asters!