1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Flowers best suited for Sep,Oct and mid nov in UK

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Shaneoak, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi

Now that autumn is around the corner, after a very wet summer, i was wondering if anybody has a list of flowers that can be brought at garden centers in the UK from now onwards for the months of sep, oct and nov? I know Violas are one option. I'm in Leeds, so, autumn pays us a visit first in all her golden splendor!! Cheers

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Pansy`s, Polyanthus and Cyclamen spring to mind. Of course, the easiest way to find out is visit the garden centre.lol

3. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shane,

I think I you're after true Autumn flowers you need to go down the Perennial route rather than bedding.........

Aster ...... Michaelmas Daisy
    Solidago..... Golden Rod
    Sedum Spectabile..... Ice plant
    Anemone Japonica....... Japanese Anemone
    Eryngium....... Sea Holly
    Crocosmia...... Montbretia
    Schizostylus...... St Bernard Lily
    Crinum
    Amaryllis ( true Amaryllis not Hippeastrum )
    Colchicum
    Autumn Crocus

Don't forget that Autumn is the natural flowering time for Dahlias, Chrysanthemums and Fuchsias.

There are probably loads more that other peeps can suggest as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
      Ratings:
      +88
      Thanks for this. I forgot to mention i'm on a budget, so can't plant rifts of say Sea Holly (i wish i could !). These are all great suggestions. I might have to stick with Viola's (not keen on Pansies as they always get bedraggled after a few weeks) Dahlia's and Chrysanthemums.
      I planted some Aster 'Duchess Blue Ice' in March and they only seem to be budding now.Not very strong looking either.. Do Asters normally flower September onwards?