Flowers of the Chesil Beach, Dorset, U.K.

Discussion in 'Hook, Line and Sinker' started by Phil A, May 4, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It was a horrible evenings fishing, a howling, freezing wind blowing from the East & no fish about so I took some pics of the plants growing on the leeward side of the shingle bank.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Sorry they are not brilliant, would have been better with a bit of sun.

Species include, Sea kale, Yellow Horned Poppy(not flowering yet) Sea Campion & Nightshade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,123
      :thumbsup: Nice one Zig, many years since I was at Chesil Beach.. Great to see the flowers & plants growing there, but my memories are of sunny days, looks different from my memories..!! :DOH: :loll: Thanks for sharing as all looking pretty good.. :D

• Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
      +225
      Nice pictures Zig. I have very happy memories of staying in my Uncle's caravan at West Bexington when we lived in Poole. I loved walking through the fields to the beach. Now, we've moved to Pett level, I can relive that as the beach here is shingle too.

Have a sniff of the flowers on the Crambe maritima when you're next down. Mmmmm! Honey!

Chris

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Ai Crambe !:D

Didn't know they smelled, can't smell very well on account of an allergy, will give it a go.

Had a look in Scrungees ditch, not much chance of getting in there to plant watercress.

Chris & Marley, the Chesil changes from tide to tide, it will never look the same from one year to the next. I have seen the beach dissapear from Seatown, only to return some weeks later.

Met a gentleman who was 90 at Seatown, he said that 50 years ago there was a road along the beach and a café at the end of it.

I camped there in 1976, that bit of grass meadow has long been washed into the sea though.

I have a bit of the old forrest floor on the veg patch, from 10,000 years ago, still got bits of wood & leaves in it.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,996
      How come there's no rubbish in those pics, such as used BBQs, carrier bags, squid boxes, discarded line, etc. that normally litter Chesil? Or perhaps the wind blew it all away, but then there's normally a few broken tents lying around.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      At the time of taking the pics, my tackle bag contained all the rubbish that scumbags had left at the spot I was fishing.

Other reason was that I walk about a mile before I start to fish, getting away from the crowds.

I have a £60 carp fishing umbrella that came charging down the beach at Abbotsbury from Bexington:dbgrtmb:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,996
      Would that be the West Bex Reserve in those pics?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      It is Scrunge, all sorts of strange noises coming out of that, including a sheep that daughter wanted me to wade in and rescue.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,996
      I've been walking through the cabbages:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
      • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,389
        What a beautiful scenery!

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,123
        :D Like it Scrungee, :WINK1: good see to see them bedding down anywhere.. Still no slugs out there I suppose... :D

:thumbsup: Yes Zig it is ever-changing as you say & I can remember a few occasions when there would be a really bad storm & it could be gone in the morning, but in a short time another bad storm would put it all back again... Nature is wonderful.. :love30:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Nice one Scrunge, you down there at the moment then ? I got 2 of they Carambe growing in my plot. Not that big though.

[​IMG]

Here the other end, Chesil Cove after a storm.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Few plants are flowering now, early days.

DSCN1194.JPG DSCN1195.JPG DSCN1196.JPG DSCN1197.JPG

• Like Like x 4
        • Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,996
          Is that West Bex to the right of the car park? (Because of the reeds at the back of the beach). Been wondering if May Water has arrived yet.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0