flowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jaycee, May 7, 2006.

1. Jaycee

Jaycee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3' x3' space in a bed for flowers approx 30" high, the bed is in full sun (when its out)and drains quickly, the soil is a fairly nuetral medium to heavy.
    I would welcome suggestions for brightly coloured perenials.
    Thanks.
    JC.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there - rudbeckia, asters, dahlia's, rose, phlox, - just a few that should do well in those conditions.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I think you could grow most plants there Jaycee. If it was in isolation I would go for something that flowered for a long time. My longest flowering perennials last year were Cirsium Rivulare - 28 weeks, Geranium Patricia - 24, Astrantia Buckland - 20, Achillea Terracotta - 18. and Verbena bonariensis - 18 weeks.

But if it is just part of a larger bed, I would want it to fit in with the other plants in terms of colour, size and flowering time etc.

[​IMG]

For sheer colour impact a group of Lobelia Queen Victoria takes some beating. Its the bright red flower centre left. Geranium Patricia is in the lower left corner.

4. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Jaycee - agree with others, almost any incl. Lobelia/Rudbeckia/Salvia Nemerosa/Dahlias and lots more. I like to complement bright colours with one or two grasses Miscanthus varieties offer a good range. Helenium does very well on my dry soil as does Acanthus (v.difficult to get rid of) - also like Hucherella types for the foliage at the front of my beds.

5. Jaycee

Jaycee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for the advice. I have taken it onboard and planted a selection of your recommendations, I look forward to seeing how they fare.
    Thanks again
    Jaycee.