Foliar feeding

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,881
    I tend to feed everything through the soil/compost, be it with manure, granular feed or liquid feed, but I read on the back of the Phostrogen box the other night that it was suitable for foliar feeding (presumably not in direct sunlight)

Is it only certain types of plant that are suitable to be fed in this way, and is there any benefit to doing so?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,062
    It was the "in" thing a few years ago, dont hear so much about it these days.
    But then I've always thought Phostrogen was pretty overrated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      the only foliar feed I deliberately use (rather than spilling / slopping liquid feed over foliage!) is a "tonic" like Maxicrop (which, back in the days when it was the "in" thing :D ) was named for being an ace fertiliser, and now is marketed more as a tonic - although if there are folk here who use it regularly, as a fertiliser, they might put me straight on that?

I think it has become relatively expensive (made from seaweed), so perhaps that is the reason. Its good as a tonic though.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      I use foliar feed in the summer when watering, I have one of those "Miracle Gro" attachments, [​IMG] have had it years, I use any soluble food, I do use chicken manure pellets, or Growmore, sprinkled liberally in Spring when signs of life are appearing.