1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Foraged / Unusual food recipes

Discussion in 'Hook, Line and Sinker' started by clueless1, Feb 15, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Inspired by a few recent threads, I thought I'd start off a thread where we could share tips on foraged food or other stuff we might not think of as food. To kick off, here's one of my favourite spring time soups.

Nettle and Wild Garlic soup: [Disclaimer, you might need the landowner's permission before taking leaves]

Head for the countryside and collect a bag of fresh stinging nettles, and a bunch of wild garlic leaves. In the case of the garlic, take only one leaf from each plant so as not to kill the plant.

Take it all home and give it a good rinse.

Pull the tender leaves off the nettles and keep them. The chewy stems can be composted.

Boil the nettle leaves for about 20 minutes, rip up the garlic leaves and add them for the last 5 minutes. Add a bit of black pepper before serving.

Optionally you can bulk it up with potatoes or any other veg but it doesn't need it.

The result is delicious and wholesome and practically free.

• Like Like x 1
    • lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
      Ratings:
      +5
      sounds nice clueless. Might have to try that one this year.

May I recommend adding a link to a picture(s) of the foraged ingredients to get an idea of what they look like if your not familiar with them.

In the above recipe, I have never seen wild garlic, so something like this would help...

Wild Garlic

I think were all familiar with nettles though :thumbsup:

Great Idea for a thread... I can see this becoming popular.

:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,595
        Good idea.

Good point, I took it for granted that everybody knows wild garlic, probably because it grows in abundance near where I grew up. I should add a warning here, wild garlic grows in a similar habitat and has vaguely similar appearance to another plant that is poisonous. They are only similar at a glance though. The poisonous one looks very different on closer inspection. If you find what looks like wild garlic but is dark green and waxy and has no scent, leave it be. If it is pale green and not waxy, then a good double check is to bruise a leaf and smell it. If it smells like garlic but slightly milder, it's ok. Once the flowers come out it is easy to tell. The garlic is the one with white garlic scented spherical flowers. If it has yellow flowers it isn't wild garlic.

We should always make absolutely certain with made the correct identification before we eat anything, because there are very toxic things out there that look similar to perfectly edible things.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
          +5
          That is precisely the reason why ive been so cautious about trying foraging out. You really need to know what your doing!

Nettles should be alright though ;-)

• Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
          Ratings:
          +1,337
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Good plan guys, like has been said, don't go eating any Arums by mistake.

Love wild garlic(Allium Ursinum) Its great when wrapped around Yarrg cheese too :dbgrtmb:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I grow nettles in a wild patch of my garden for the insects and there's wild garlic at the beginning of a forest nearby which puts out a really strong smell. I tried Nettle tea some time ago and nearly threw up but maybe the garlic will change the taste somewhat and I'll give it a go, Clueless1!!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,255
          You can also use ground elder in a soup or just steamed or sauteed in butter. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
            +5
            Is that the same plant that invades many peoples gardens and it takes month of precise weeding to eradicate? Just from those experiences alone... ive already grown to loathe this plant :thumbsup:

Never had I thought you could eat it though.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,255
            Yes, that's the one :dbgrtmb:

If you like the flavour of it you can then get some enjoyment out of digging it out :heehee:. The leaves, stems and roots are edible.

• lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
            +5
            After being fried in butter and then fully digested... I would still bet that it will grow back afterwards :WINK1: :D

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
            Ratings:
            +14,125
            Hi Luke...
            Wild Garlic - Allium ursinum
            [​IMG]

You might find this thread useful at times for IDs.. http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/Thread-Wild-Flowers-seen-while-out-walking.html

• lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
            +5
            Thanks for that marley, interesting thread... I think its the kind of information that needs reading through many times till it sinks in. :WINK1:

Some wonderful pictures on there.

• PoppyDaisy

PoppyDaisy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +0
            Sounds great - I love foraging, and am always on the look out for new recipes.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Had to wait for a coat of paint to dry today, so I popped down The Chesil for half an hour, see what was around.

[​IMG]

Last years Sea Kale had taken a bit of a battering. Although you can't dig it up without the landowners permission, it has a huge nutritious edible root. (see the Ray Mears episode on the Zigs TV Channel thread)

[​IMG]

The Sea Beet is just starting its spring growth. This is a very good wild food, the leaves grow large and are abundant. Its the ancestor of our cultivated beets.

[​IMG]

This was an unexpected suprise. Last years Giant Puffball Mushroom. One of the best tasting and largest fungi we have. They grow in the same location year after year, so I will check this out from August onwards:thumbsup: If you find one, as long as the flesh is still white then its good to eat.

You can fry slices in herby butter, never use oil, or cut into small squares & thread them onto cotton & hang them to dry. This concentrates the flavour, use them in stews/casseroles.