Forecast said hotter in August???

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jjordie, Aug 21, 2006.

1. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Thought the forecast said it would be hotter in August than it was in July. Somebody got it wrong I think as we are at this moment
    having an almighty cloudburst, the garden path is like a small river - and I wouldn't exactly say it is hot. In fact it has rained almost every day since the heatwave subsided.

What's it like elsewhere in the country? :confused:

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Lies all Lies,they meant to say,Rain Rain and more Rain.Yes we are having it much the same here as well.
    I said to my husband,that when it did start raining then it wouldn't stop.That was three weeks ago.
    Better start building the Ark then

Kandy [​IMG]

3. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    I just wish...please ...that it would rain here!
    I have been out every evening with the hose
    (we have no ban) trying to save or encourage all the violas and little things I have pricked out the soil is like dust, it is an ongong battle what with that and the caterpillers who arrive from nowhere to eat the leaves from the Roses to skeletons some times I think I will take up some other hobby... :(

4. madflower

madflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it's been raining in Birmingham as well, i just can't believe it, I'm a post woman and have very deep greviances when it comes to weather forcasters :mad: , or as i like to call them 'not weather forcasters' what a complete waste of time they are. They should be made to live on one big Island with neighbours who don't weed [​IMG] , don't get me started on neighbours [​IMG] .......

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    we have had a lot of rain and apart from a couple of hot days then it was freezing so i dont know were they got the forecast from as it certainly isnt a hot august here.

6. madflower

Ratings:
    +0
    Rosa, i told you these people are complete fanatasists, reading us rubbish evey night until they get a day time t.v show, or a place on celebrity come dancing , really Rosa what i wouldn't like to do to these charlatans [​IMG] , given weathers not an exact science, ok, neither is posting letters, but i don't earn Ã?£XXXXXXXX a year [​IMG] , mores the pity think of the lovely plants i could get..... :D

7. madflower

Ratings:
    +0
    P.S to Rosa congratulations on your wedding anniversery! [​IMG]

8. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    This great prediction was made using only the knowledge that August is usually hotter than July, no science, just historical data. Note the word "usually".

9. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It may be wet, but it is still warm. I prefer it to scorching weather. The garden is looking lovely. :D

10. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    [​IMG] You're right badsal. We had our first dry day yesterday for ages and it's quite a
    pleasant sunny morning at the moment. Rain forecast for later!
    But the garden is looking so much better, and the dry yellow lawn is now bright green again.
    Even the honeysuckle that went brown and lost most of it's leaves has sprouted green again.

And the pumpkins have grown ..... - well I'll have to post an update picture
    when I have a moment to take my camera up the garden.

[​IMG]

11. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Well, the forecast was right for this afternoon - it's absolutely p...ing down at the moment! (sorry that should have read 'pelting')

[​IMG]

12. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well we are having a wonderfull storm it was dry yesterday but today well the heavens have opened..its thundering and the rain is coming down really heavy..Its brilliant i still dont want that heatwave back and i would like my front lawn to return to green..Bring it on i dont mind..as long as its dry one day so i can plant out for next year..and remove the dead... :D I nearly had a heart attack just the lightening came followed by a huge thunder and my dog came running as fast as his legs would carry him..I am not keen on thunder ..

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I am very grateful for the rain. It has been so dry that the plants were suffering. I am on a water meter, and will water the garden a bit, but don't like to do it too much. I have tried to get drought resistant plants in the driest parts, but you have to get the established.

14. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    A really heavy rainshower although the sun was still shining - made the large raindrops sparkle as they fell.

..................... [​IMG]..................

I've always wanted to take a pic of rain :D :cool:

15. chips

chips Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a great pic JJordie. Id like to know what happened to the promised summer as well