Forked Carrots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mfirth, Aug 13, 2010.

1. mfirth

mfirth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just pulled up some carrots and some of them are very forked and even have horizontal tap roots in some cases. I know that rocks, clods and high nitrate concentrations can course forking but I am sure this is not the case here.

When seeding I noticed vine weevil grubs and so watered in some nematodes, is it possible that they have caused root rot?

Also am I right to assume that they will be ok to eat.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark, I'm no expert but carrot branching can be caused by fresh manure or over
    rich compost, just a thought I'm sure somebody more experienced will have the answer for you.

Regards Pete

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I would agree with Pete02 and think over rich compost the most likely culprit. I see no reason why you can't eat them.

4. mfirth

mfirth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I do not think that this is the case here as they are in 2nd year commercial compost.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Did you transplant them? That will cause forking. Also if your soil has dried out and the roots can't penetrate that may be another reason.

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    The most common cause of forking in carrots is a period of drought during early-mid development
    Last year one row of mine was perfect, the other all produced forked roots. Soil and fertiliser were the same and the only difference was about 6 weeks difference in sowing and the forked row went through a dry period while we were away on holiday.