1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Four metre high wall

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Arty Bee, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Arty Bee

Arty Bee Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Hello:

I have some very high walls around my garden. Mostly they are nice red brick but one section is rough breeze blocks. It is about ten metres long. I planted three cotoneaster on it two years ago. These are growing very slowly but I think I will be happy with them in the end.

I have realised they will never make it right the way to the top so this year I put three clematis in, in between the cotoneaster. I intend to train them straight up so that, hopefully, they can cover the top part of the wall quickly while the cotoneaster is still growing.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? What should I train the clematis onto? I have honeysuckle on other walls and they are trained on lengths of reinforcing steel that are tied onto screws drilled into the wall. This works fine for them but I have read clematis are too fine for this. What would be a non-expensive (given the length of wall I have) way of supporting them?

Thanks! rsz_dsc09157.jpg

2. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
  3. zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +577
    Wow that is one wall. Have you considered rendering it in a lighter attractive colour?

Climbing roses maybe.

4. Arty Bee

Arty Bee Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Further along I have just ripped out a wisteria and replaced it with a climbing rose. I am worried though that, unlike the cotoneaster and clematis combination it will never completely cover the wall.

It is in a common section of the garden owned by three families jointly and none of the others want to spend any money. It actually separates us from council property so I am not sure how a proper job was not done in the first place.

5. Arty Bee

Arty Bee Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
  6. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,089
    6X6 trellis panels 2 high ?

Living walls are very trendy righ now but expensive.

A 3 tier planter running the length of the wall,making the wall appear shorter maybe?

7. Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
    +126
    Climbing hydrangea is a good climber and covers well.

BDD2B621-F5CC-48B5-AFDC-9A992B510B77.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  8. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,292
    I think the cheapest option would be large-gauge chicken wire. Not particularly attractive, but it 'disappears' fairly well once fixed to the wall, and will certainly give support to climbers like clematis. You don't say which varieties of clemtis you've planted, BA. Montana, viticella, alpina or macropetala are all vigourous enough to climb that height but the average large-flowered hybrid would struggle to make much impact....

9. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,666
    Those cotoneasters look very small... It looks as though they're planted too close to the wall; if you're keeping them then I'd dig up and replant further away

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  10. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Yes i use them with clematis its best to train them otherwise they bolt to the top and you get left with gaps lower down.

11. Arty Bee

Arty Bee Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    I have a climbing hydrangea on the street side of the house and was hoping to make the most of the sun this wall gets. It faces east but is very open and nearly constantly in the light in the summer. I wouldn't have thought of clematis except that I saw one covering a wall this size in Ireland. I'd like as much in the way of flowers as possible. I have honeysuckle on the adjoininbg north wall that is twenty metres long but its season is so short. Something colourful along that side would complement it well. The three clematis I have put in are all Clematis Viticella 'Polish Spirit'.