1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Free stuff for GC Members

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by PCMedic, Dec 8, 2009.

1. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I will post links in this thread for GC Members to be able download Freeware Software, that will help you to run your computer in a more stable enviroment, remove unwanted Spyware, Viruses, Maleware, etc.

Also i have a few links to some cool software that i am sure you will enjoy.

John

PC Medic

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Oh, cool, thanks, I look forward to this thread with great anticipation.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Not wishing to look a gift horse in the mouth through ignorance, how would this software affect the running of existing security programmes?

I run Virgin's "PC guard."

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
  5. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,948
    :) Sounds good to me John.............Looking forward to the "cool"software.
    Good to see you around :thumb:.

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Please carry on & post any software John as allot of people are confused by the choices available, but if you were to recommend some here it would be great for those who are unsure.. Thanks John..:thmb:

7. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks PC Medic looking forword to all the help i can get :yho::yho::yho:

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Your help is valued by us all & I would like to "Thank You on behalf of the Mods & Membership" for setting up this thread John..! :thmb:

Soo..... A question.. :scratch: I have been using Avast now for a few months instead of AVG (free) I am very pleased with it, but would love to know what your thoughts are on it.. It catches much more than AVG ever did & tells you when it catches something or actually stops you visiting some sites.. So what are your thoughts mate..

9. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    PCMedic - I'd just like to echo the thanks of all the sensible, polite users of GC for the offer of useful PC programs etc, I'm sure they will come in very useful to a lot of people.

Watergarden - your post is the exact reason I haven't been around on GC for quite some time and I for one have reported it as being offensive.

10. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Please have a look at the video that i have posted below from Youtube.

[yt]KhXZo3dHulc[/yt]

rating out of 10 for avast would be approx 4. Its a good Free antivirus but i have noticed especially when i repaired a customers pc yesterday onsite. they had avast antivirus free edition and it did use a good chunk of physical memory and resources. i had to go out and buy the customer more memory as the computer was a p4 with 512 mb ddr pc2700 Ram which runs at 333mhz. Another chunk of resources is used and lags the computer when it starts its update. This did slow their computer down drastically.

Please bear in mind....Every bodys computer is run differently. Has different operating systems and physical amounts of memory. A newer pc wouldn't even notice the the lag.....but a pc approx 3 years and older would.

I hope this helps mate :D

John

PC Medic

ps...the video is just an illustration..... i

11. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Thank You PC Medic For any future advice and suggestions you give,
    I for one am very unsure when it comes to downloading free software and would welcome any guidance from a scource i can trust

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,290
    Thanks for all you do for us :gnthb:

As another computer novice I would be interested in what you thought of my anti-virus and firewall. I use to use AVG anti-virus for many years and had no trouble with it until I upgraded to 8.5. After that upload I had lots of problems. I also used Zone Alarm firewall which also gave no problem.

Someone sorted out the problem, a few months ago, by removing everything by reinstalling the OS and all my programmes and put on PC Tools Antivirus and Firewall Plus - free. I have never had any problem with it but some people have told me that it isn't very good.

My ISP filters all my emails for viruses so Neither AVG nor PC Tools have ever reported any problems. I am also careful about what emails, attachments and links I open.

Do I need to bother about changing from PC Tools?

Any comments would be much appreciated. :)

13. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I'm wary about downloading stuff. So I'd be interested to know if I need anything that I don't have at present.

As I mentioned I've Virgin's PC guard, which has; Anti-Virus, Anti-spywear, Identity theft protection, Pop-up blocker and Privacy manager.
    It up-dates itself a few times a day and does regular scans but hardly ever finds anything.
    It gets rid of temporary internet files and also empties my recycle bin unless I tell it not to.

It seems to think it's more "its" computer than mine.

14. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Wrong type of software for me. I get all mine free anyway, Free Open Source Software. It's a great organisation.

15. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You say you have lots of problems since your upgrade. Could you please explain the problems you are haveing. Also what Operating System you are using Including service packs. :D

John

PC Medic