freesias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by davefuchsiafan, Dec 31, 2011.

1. davefuchsiafan

davefuchsiafan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have been growing fuchsias for pleasure and showing for around 33 years, and I'm delving into growing freesias now can anyone give any tips on how is the best way to grow these plants from corms and from seed, and most important the conditions in which they thrive.
    thanks
    Dave

2. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    I grew them this year from corms i bought in a garden centre, i'm definately no expert on them and this was my first attempt but ..... they did surprisingly well :yess:

They need well drained soil and a lot od sun but that's all i know.

I planted the corms out in my front garden, which is thin poor soil, in full sun, and they emerged and grew beautifully.
    I didn't plant any bulbs at all this year so i'll be relying on the existing ones to show - but i've no idea whether the Freesias will re-emerge.

I'll be interested to hear how this thread progresses.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,088
      As I understand it freesias are winter flowering naturally, but you can buy heat treared bubs to flower in the summer.
      Its a long time since I've grown them, but as I remember, nice scented flowers but very straggly plants.:)

• Like Like x 1
      • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        Hi Dave ,Don`t waist your time with seeds , bulbs are avalaible even from wilkinsons, poundland and QD about 10 for £1 , grown them as gladiolus , I would suggest to grow them in pots , If i remember right I had few problem with slugs .

• Like Like x 1
        • Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
          Ratings:
          +502
          They're not winter flowering, they're summer flowering.

Plant the corms as early as poss, i did mine in the autumn with the rest of the species tulips i planted but it's suggested that the corms are planted in the spring.

They are fine grown out in the open ground but you will need light, free draining soil and a warm sunny site for them to do well.

I didn't have a problem with the slugs or snails.

They don't like to dry out though, so water them if there's a dry spell.

I found them to be very easy indeed.
          Other gardening friends have theirs reappear each year yet others don't - so that seems to be in the lap of the gods !!!

• Like Like x 1
          • cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
            +15
            I grow these each year. They're not hardy. Sometimes you get away with planting them in the Autumn and sometimes you don't. I treat them as annuals.
            You can get treated corms from most decent GC's, they are used to plant in the Spring.
            Personally I've started buying plug plants from T&M. They're fairly new but they were fine last year. You plant them in the Spring and they flower mid-summer, a bit later than the corms but far more reliable. Nicely scented plants. Try putting a few sticks in for them to lean against.
            I would have added some "smilies" but they're not there!! LoL

• Like Like x 1