Freezing Bramleys - Can I?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by NeilC, Oct 20, 2009.

1. NeilC

NeilC Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My two dwarf bramley apple treees have this year produced masses of fruit for the first time. Strangely the £2.50 one from Aldi seems to be the best cropper.

Problem is I really don't know what to do with all the fruit. I did teach myself to make apple pie last year but you can only do so many.

Can I freeze Bramleys? I am thinking of the windfalls that have some damage and so will not store.

Am I right in thinking that the sound fruit should store OK in a frost free place wrapped individually in newspaper?

Thanks in advance for replies.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Why not stew the apples you plan to freeze.

You said you can only make so many apple pies. Fair enough, although I could never get sick of apple pie. There's loads of uses for stewed apples apart from pies.

Or, better still, why not mash them up and make some scrumpy? In the words of the Wurzels:

3. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    '

According to my wife, peel cut up and cook them, also adding any sugar that is required.

Then put into containers (plastic containers from the chinese takeaway) are ideal, then freeze.

Then when you require any apples, you will have about the right amount you should require, all you have to do is unfreeze.

The problem with Bramleys that I have stored in the shed, is not going rotten, it is that they get brown spots inside, without rotting, which spoils the taste and looks!

Lack of lime is supposed to be that problem, added lime makes no difference in my experience!

We also have a variety called Howgate, which needs much less sugar than Bramleys.

cheers

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    We have pots of pureed apples (no sugar) in the Freezer. We use them in all sorts of cake recipes (as a sugar substitute) and in lots of other ways. I often have a bowl of defrosted apple puree mixed with other fruit like chrrries or Blackcurrants served with, in my case Soya cream, but you could use Fromage frais or whatever, as a simple dessert. For sheer heaven try apple puree with bilberries topped with soft merangue.

The Bitter pit described is a problem with Bramley and is caused by the trees inability to take up Calcium.

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Oh and of course there are always Baked apples. Core a Bramley (or whatever) fill with dried fruit and put a table spoon of golden syrup over. Bake for 30 mins or until they are cooked. Then Freeze and reheat when needed.

6. Liz W

Liz W Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I've frozen bramleys just peeled, cored and sliced, and they are fine.

7. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The professionals spray Bramleys with some sort of lime solution when it is in leaf in order to counteract the bitter pit. It is a pain in the butt. It developed on a large tree of Spartan I used to have. It used to produce loads of top quality fruit and then bitter pit set in which affected every fruit.