Freezing

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by jeg, Jul 16, 2009.

1. jeg

jeg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me if blanching first is really necessary for freezing vegetables? They never seem to taste the same when defrosted and they get left in the bottom of the freezer never to be eaten. If the vegetables are going to be consumed fairly quickly (ie. at least within 1 year if not 6 months) can they be frozen as they are, unblanched? I am talking mainly about french/runner beans, broad beans, etc. etc. I would be grateful for some advice.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Jeg, I think it`s safe to say that most books suggest blanching. That is, placing the veg in a pan of boiling, lightly salted, water. After 2 or 3 minutes they are taken out and immersed in cold water, before being dried, placed in bags and frozen. However, my wife doesn`t bother will all that, she shells the veg, shoves in a bag and straight in the freezer. Doesn`t seem to be detrimental to the produce, it still hets eaten.:D

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    My Nanna blanched then froze hers-she said it was to "keep 'em green" so it must be for aesthetic reasons.

4. Clematis

Clematis Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +20
    I never blanche - clean it and slice or whatever, bag up and freeze. Never had a problem.

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    This used to be the recommended thing to do when everyone was buying freezers in the 70's/early 80's
    Now I don't think anyone does it.:)