1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fremontodendron advice?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by IceColdRum, Sep 2, 2016.

1. IceColdRum

IceColdRum Cacti & Herb Mad

Customer Service Advisor
    Ratings:
    +837
    I visited the local garden centre today after work (I rarely visit as I baulk at paying nearly £8 for a 2L Penstemon...)

Anyway I spotted in the reduced section a huge spindly Fremontodendron 'Tequila Sunrise' down from £20 odd to less than a fiver! So I did what anyone would do and ran to the till before anyone stopped me xD

But I'm not really sure what to do to help it bush out a bit... do they sucker? It's got to be about 6ft tall!

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,310
    A very good buy. :) It's a lovely and spectacular tree :blue thumb: but has a few slight negatives.

P1120854.JPG

P1120855.JPG

Ours, above, flowers from late April until mid-October. Starts with a few flowers in mid-April and was at the stage above by early June and starts easing off through July. The flowers drop regularly and new ones replace them.

As it's a fairly vigorous grower and the side branches also grow quickly, we found we had to stake the tree as it got top heavy. We also trained the side branches on wires so we didn't need to prune them shorter (can spread up to 12ft - and 20ft+ high). You can see, in the top picture, our 4" diameter round post that we had to put in.

The tree has never suckered :blue thumb:

It will definitely be hardy in the I.O.W. - and in most of the UK.

The down side - can be a slight problem if you have very young children or puppies. The leaves, young branches and young flower buds have miniscule, very fine, hooks and the RHS list them under 'toxicity'. They're not toxic but can be an irritant to mouth or eyes. We've never had any problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • IceColdRum

IceColdRum Cacti & Herb Mad

Customer Service Advisor
      Ratings:
      +837
      That looks like a fab looking example @shiney

Mine was just delivered earlier although I should of looked more closely as I can see there is some significant scaring from bark damage (looks quite old though) so that might be why it's a bit spindly, plenty of growth up top though so maybe I might put it in a sunny corner out the way and take a few cuttings for a more prominent plant.

I remember this plant specifically for the horrible hairs covering the leaves and flowers I had to weed round a lovely one at college every so often and I don't miss it :gaah:

But I think as long as I remember what I'm doing and near it's fine, otherwise I might need to invest in a roll of this :mrflower:

download.jpg

The RHS website says this is a good time for cuttings and I have a tub of Clonex rooting liquid in the post as we speak so wish me luck! the flowers online look scrumptious all burnt orange and lovely.

• Like Like x 1
      • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881
        If the plant is spindly then taking cuttings is a good way of pruning it fairly hard back.