French beans dying

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by rob_d, Jul 15, 2014.

1. rob_d

rob_d Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

We just got our first allotment this April and have enjoyed it very much. There is so much to learn, but we're beginning to get a few crops already.

I just got the first small harvest of French/Dwarf beans today - delicious - but I noticed one of the plants on the end of the row was looking sickly - very yellow and dropping its leaves. Any ideas what might be wrong and should I pull it to avoid problems spreading?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Try firming the soil around it - maybe a mole has burrowed under it.

I'd water it too (unless it is already sodden :) )

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I've got heavy clay soil and clay particles migrate to the plot edges where the water runs to, forming a sticky, suffocating strip of soil, and the end plants (if planted across the plot) always seem to grow worse there.

The other reason I get for a few plants dying here and there is ants building a nest amongst their roots.

If you pull it out, carefully examine the soil for the likes of a cutworm underneath eating the roots.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • rob_d

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for the suggestions, no sign of moles, and a light soil, but there was a yellow ants nest next to the plant. How do they damage the plant? The roots looked small but not too damaged. Hard to compare unless I uproot another healthy one. The other plants are still looking good, so fingers crossed its just a one off. A nice 400g of beans off them today so very happy.

• rob_d

Ratings:
      +1
      No more total plant casualties but a few leaves on a couple and a few beans going yellow and soft before they are fully grown. I picked those off since they're not going to be edible. Not a big problem as we've a big crop, but still wondering what might be causing it. The photos might help.

IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2444.JPG

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,565
      Ants like dry conditions for their nests. They move the soil particles around and disturb the roots of the plants preventing the roots from functioning properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,429
        The leaf damage looks as though it's just normal die back that some leaves get. Just remove them.

The beans could be from a number of things from just natural loss, stress from uneven watering, wind damage, ant damage etc. but if it's just a small proportion of the crop then you just need to keep an eye on things.